Chapter 1: A Midnight Visit

The hot water dripping down my bare back felt great. I smiled and squirted some shampoo into my hands. I ran my hands through my hair and rubbed in the soap as the music coming from my music blared in the bathroom and filled my ears. I loved it when I took a shower while I was home alone. My mom and dad were out of town for a couple of weeks and it was just me and my older brother at home alone for those weeks. I could play my music as loud as I wanted it without anyone-

The doorbell from the front door pulled me out of my thoughts and I turned off the water. I stepped out of the shower, threw on a bathrobe over my wet body, turned off my music, and walked down the stairs. I left a wet path from the bathroom to the front door. I opened the front door and there stood a tall, bulky man that I recognized as the one and only Clint Bradshaw standing in front of me.

Clint was always getting into all sorts of trouble. My parents hated him and hated that my older brother always talked to him and hung out with him. They were scared William would pick up bad habits from him. Clint and his parents didn't get along because he was a drop out at school. He grinned at me, exposing perfect teeth.

"Well, I came at the right time didn't I?" Clint winked at me.

I rolled my eyes. "William isn't here Clint."

"Where is he?" Clint asked.

"He's at basketball practice." I said. "Goodbye."

I started to close the door but Clint stopped me. "Oh come on. Where are your manners?"

"You're not coming in here if that's what you're getting at." I said.

"Come on Lexi!" Clint begged.

That's when I noticed his black eye. I couldn't exactly see his face clearly because my porch light wasn't on. 

"What happened to you?" I asked. "Why do you have a black eye?"

Clint sighed. "Whatever. Just forget it." He turned and started to walk away.

"Wait!" I said and Clint looked over his shoulder at me. I sighed. "Come on in." Clint smiled and walked inside. "Sit down and don't touch anything!"

"Yes ma'am." Clint sat down and put his feet up on the coffee table.

"Feet off the table!" I ordered and walked upstairs.

I walked to my room and quickly changed into pajamas. I walked down stairs and saw Clint asleep on the couch. I looked down at him and smiled. He looked so peaceful while he slept like that.

Suddenly, the front door opened and I turned to see my older brother, William, walk inside.

"Hey Lexi!" William smiled.

"Clint is here." I said, pointing to the sleeping Clint.

William rolled his eyes, grabbed Clint, and dragged him off the couch. Clint was barely awake as William practically dragged him up the stairs and up to his room. I heard the door slam shut and yelling behind the door. I decided to let them have their privacy and I walked to the kitchen and made myself a bowl of cereal. I sat on the kitchen and played on my phone until I heard William's door open again and two set of footsteps walk down the stairs. I turned and saw Clint and William walk over to me.

"I should get going." Clint said. "Um, thanks for letting me in Lexi."

Clint left and I looked at William. "What the hell was that all about?"

"What was what about?" William asked, taking a bite out of my cereal.

"What were you and Clint yelling about?" I asked.

"Nothing. You don't need to worry about it." William patted my head. He walked to the refrigerator, took out the gallon of milk, and drunk from the jug.

"You know we have glasses for that." I joked.

William shrugged and put the milk back. He started to walk out of the kitchen but stopped and turned to look at me. William smiled and kissed the top of my damp head. "I love you Lexi."

"I love you too dork." I shoved him playfully. "Now go shower. You smell like shit."

William chuckled. "Thanks."

~~~~~

I woke up in the middle of the night to loud banging on the front door. I sat up as I heard footsteps down the hallway and down the stairs. I stood up and opened the door a crack to see William run to the front door and throw it open.

"Jesus Christ Clint! What the hell happened to you?!" William asked.

"My damn dad is what happened." A rough voice snapped. Clint.

I walked to the top of the stairs and saw Clint's nose bleeding heavily.

"What did you do to make the guy so angry?" William asked.

"I didn't do shit! He was the one-"

Clint broke off when he saw me and he nudged William. William turned and saw me. I felt like a deer in the headlights and I folded my arms in front of me slowly. Clint and William looked at each other and William sighed.

"Clint go clean yourself up. I gotta talk to Lexi."

William walked up to me as Clint walked to the bathroom. I sat down and William looked down at me.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Nothing." William said, kneeling down in front of me.

"Doesn't look like nothing." I shot back.

William sighed. "You can't tell anyone. His dad hit him. His dad has been abusing him for awhile now."

I gasped. "Seriously?"

"Yeah. You can't tell anyone though. He might be staying here for a little bit okay?" William said.

I nodded. "Okay."

"Okay. Go back to bed. We can talk more in the morning."

"I'm not tired."

William looked at me and shook his head. "You're a tool."

I smiled proudly. "Thank you."

We walked downstairs just as Clint walked back out of the bathroom. Dry blood still stained his face but he didn't seem bothered by it. Clint avoided eye contact with me. We all stood there in silence and I bit my fingernails.

"Um, do you guys want something?" I asked. "I can make pigs in a blanket."

William's eyes lit up. "That would be great."

So, I ended up making pigs in a blanket at midnight that night. We all sat on the couch and watched television silently. I found myself glancing at Clint several times and staring at the dry blood staining his face. When we were finished, I brought down some extra blankets and pillows for Clint. He took them from me awkwardly and set up his bed.

"You should go to bed Lexi. I didn't mean to wake you up. Thank you for dinner." Clint said, kicking off his shoes.

I nodded. "Goodnight Clint."

"Goodnight Lexi."

~~~~~

Did you like the first part? What do you think will happen between Clint and his dad? How do you think Lexi will look at Clint after finding about his abusive dad?