1: angst in my pants, the sparks

Jasmine Contreras thought she was going to die right then and there.

She was cold, hungry, and starting to shake. Her throat felt dry, and she knew that if she tried to get a word out to the person causing her this pain in the first place, it probably wouldn't work. 

Her body was frozen. She couldn't move if she tried, all her joints stiff, yet her mind was racing at a million miles per hour. She was pretty sure she had never been in this kind of panic over something like this in her entire life, and she needed to get the hell over it, fast.

Really, it was just her luck that she would end up in this situation.

"Do you know this answer?" The boy in question finally asked, after what seemed like an eternity of silence.

Maybe I do, you stupid jerk— but if I did, I wouldn't freaking tell you, the same way you didn't freaking tell me that you were making out and doing whatever the hell else it was that you were doing with Mara Robinson while we were on our SIXTH MONTH OF DATING, MONOGAMOUSLY, WHICH YOU APPARENTLY DON'T KNOW THE DEFINITON OF, THE SAME WAY YOU DON'T KNOW THE DEFINITION OF DIRGE RIGHT NOW. HOW DID YOU EVEN GET INTO ADVANCED ENGLISH IN THE FIRST PLACE?

That is what Jasmine wanted to say. 

"A lament for the dead," was what she said instead, her voice only slightly softer than usual, and still eyes unmoving, not daring to look Christian Fresno in the eye.

She seriously didn't know how she planned on surviving having to be partners with her ugly, cheating ex-boyfriend for the whole semester. She gave in when he responded, and looked at him.

"Thanks," a corner of Christian Fresno's mouth twitched up, in some sort of weird, hesitant smile. She hated the fact that he didn't actually spontaneously become ugly over the course of the last month when they stopped talking. Unfortunately, he still had shimmering blonde hair, enchanting green eyes, and stupid, soft pink lips.

Jasmine took a deep breath, and willed herself to stop looking at him by slamming her head on the table, crossing her arms so no one would see her face.

Unfortunately, the fact that Jasmine may or may not have given herself a very minor concussion and was shutting her eyes so tight she couldn't see anything, was still not enough to distract her from Christian's existence.

One reason Christian and Jasmine first got along so well was because they both loved music. Jasmine instantly recognized the beat playing way too loudly out of his headphones as Angst In My Pants by the Sparks, the song from the album also titled Angst In My Pants, which came out March 29, 1982 and was their 11th album.

The reason why Jasmine was able to instantly conjure this near-encyclopedic knowledge, was because she had a great memory, and synesthesia. Her senses were crossed—she associated music with colors and letters. A G note sounded purple to her even when people tried convincing her otherwise, the same way bananas were yellow to people even if someone were to tell them they were actually blue-- or god forbid-- colorless.

This is a condition Jasmine Contreras has lived with all her life, and it has allowed her some advantage—such as being able to skip a grade, and knowing a lot about music.

However, on that fateful first day of school, Jasmine Contreras developed a new advantage—or maybe even a disadvantage, thanks to her synesthesia.

While Angst in My Pants, the Sparks, March 29th, 1982 rattled off in her brain like a bullet she couldn't stop from firing, another piece of information struck her, also.

The Reinhold Mack Reactor, coordinates 40.7484° N, 73.9857° W, launch code 29...

The information was not able to finish processing itself through Jasmine's brain, because she fainted as soon as the next verse started.

A/N: every chapter will be named after a song, and sometimes there will be clues in them as this story goes on! i hope you all are having as much fun reading as i am writing :)

the song will always be attached to the chapter in a youtube video !