4: best you, blood orange

i.

"Five."

"No."

"Four."

"Also no."

"Three."

"Really, you're just going lower?"

"Two?"

"How could you think so little of me? The answer is seven." Amal sipped her coffee.

"You speak seven languages?"

"Yes. Now can you please answer my question?" She asked, for about the 8th time that day. They kept distracting each other.

"I have dark black hair, shoulder-length." Loki responded.

"Thank you. That's all I needed to know." Amal stood up, gathering her belongings.

"That's all? You don't want to know how I found you? You don't want to know why I bothered?" He asked.

"You found me by following me, you bothered because you were intrigued. And yes, that is all." Amal walked away swiftly, done with her lunch.

She didn't know what to do with the idea that so far, Loki had still not lied to her. Not even about the easy things such as appearance that many people tended to lie about to her. Everything he had said to her that she had asked had been the truth. Her friends told her what he looked like, and his voice sounded the same when he told the truth.

His voice sounded the same when he said he was Loki.

Amal hated that she was prone to curiosity.

Once she found something strange, she couldn't leave it alone.

Loki thought the same.

ii.

ONE MONTH LATER

"Ned. Hey, Ned!" Jasmine called in the hallway.

Ned, Peter's other best friend, turned to her and gave her a slap-in-the-hand-followed-by-a-fist-bump-thing that boys often did. "What's up, Jas?"

"Where's Peter? Have you seen him?" She asked.

Ned gave a knowing smirk. "He's helping Ms. Beltran with some computer stuff right now."

"Oh, okay, thanks," Jasmine waved, walking away.

Moments later, Peter found Ned. Before he could get a word out, Ned began rambling. "Hey man, your girlfriend was looking for you."

Peter rolled his eyes. "She's not my girlfriend, Ned."

"Ahh, but you know who I'm talking about!" Ned slapped his arm playfully, grinning.

"I don't know, man... I just don't think it's gonna happen." Peter sighed, taking out his phone and texting Jasmine that there was no word on anything from Tony.

iii.

Amal was the only one left sitting in the conference room. She was about to get up and break for lunch, when someone touched her shoulder.

Amal gasped, but Loki reassured her before she could panic. "It's Loki. No need to fret."

Amal stood abruptly. "Loki? What are you doing here?"