before the letters

"Hinata. You're failing English."

The teacher said with a blank face. She had told quite a few other students this same line.

"Whaaaa?! Is there anything I can do to bring my grade up!? I can't miss my the next volleyball tournament!" Hinata vibrated with anxiety, and didn't know what an inside voice was. The teacher flinched at the volume Hinata used to express his distress. The responses had varied. Some accepted it meekly, denied it, or like Hinata had done, were greatly distressed.

"There is a way to bring up your grade." Hinata nodded viciously. If he didn't bring his grade up he wouldn't be able to participate in the upcoming tournament. All the teacher did was sigh.

"Hinata it requires a lot of commitment. You'll be sending letters to a student in America. After a few letters this students will come and stay here for three months, in your house. While they're there you will educate each other on your home country." Hinata thought about it and asked for the sheet that would provide more in depth info about the program. He ran off with the sheet to join the last half of volleyball practice that he could.

The teacher could only watch with fond exasperation as Hinata ran off screaming.

☆☆☆☆

"Mrs. Anderson. Is there anything to do that would look good on my college application. Nothing boring please." Dylan's expression didn't convey anything. Dylan was an all honors student that would be graduating her sophomore year. The college she wanted to attend required one last thing the says that she was actually an interesting person. Sure she volunteered a lot but anyone can volunteer.

"There is a program that our school does annually. A student from our high school, and another from Karasuno high school in Japan, become pen pals. Both students become pen pals with one another to teach their language and culture to the other. Normally this is only offered to seniors, but I can make an exception seeing as your graduating with this year's class." A spark of interest danced across Dylan's face. She had never done something like this before, it seemed really neat. She wanted to do it.

"After a few months of letters you would go and visit your pen pal for three months to educate each other on your country. It's a good thing you asked about this now, tomorrow is the last day to join. Here's the sheet if you're interested. Give it to me by tomorrow, at four thirty." Dylan allowed a smile grace her lips. She walked away with the paper in hand, with plenty of things on her mind, but only one stood out.

"This will be fun."