Between the Letters 1.5

Today was the day they received the first letter from their pen pal. She wondered who her pen pal would be. Hm. Well, its not like she would know who it was. She only knew one person from Japan (in that area), and he would tell her if he decided to participate in a pen pal thing.

She knocked on the door to the classroom where they would write their letters and read the others responses. She hoped she got someone at least halfway decent in personality.

"Miss Brown, here's your letter. Your pen pal's name is Shouyou Hinata." Dylan walked to her seat and read the letter. She liked him instantly. Though his handwriting was a bit crappy.

Dylan smiled down at the open letter in her hands. Hinata was definitely an energetic person, she could feel it through the way he wrote. There were many spelling and grammatical errors, but the whole purpose of the project was to help teach each other. 

Dylan was already planning what she would say in her next letter when someone tapped her on her shoulder.

"Dylan, what does this kanji mean?" Jessie pointed to a character on the page, and smiled apologetically. Jessie was heavily relying on Google Translate and Dylan to get his letter translated. Dylan was the only one in the room who knew six different languages, one of them being Japanese.

"Hm. In this context, it means love. But without any context, and on its own, it means heart." Dylan lectured quietly. The others in the room had met after school to receive their letters and work together to translate them. It would be polite of her to not disturb them.

"Thanks, Dylan! Hey... if you don't mind me asking, who's your partner? Mine is Tadashi Yamaguchi." Jessie asked her quietly with a grin on his face. Dylan just now realized that Jessie was halfway laying on his desk, and in her face. Dylan backed up a bit in response.

"I got Shouyou Hinata. He seems to be working out of the textbook, with so many mistakes, but he's determined to use English. There's not a single character in here." Dylan smiled softly and scribbled corrections by the words that needed to be corrected. She'd include a separate page with all the corrections and proper translations.

"Ha, lucky. Tadashi wrote only a tiny bit of English in his letter, and what is in English is wobbly and hard to read. But, it's correct at least." Jessie dropped his head, and it made a resounding thunk when it hit the top of Dylan's plastic chair. Dylan barely smothered her giggles at her upper class man's antics before the others sent dirty looks their way.

"Are you gonna write back in Japanese? Tadashi doesn't seem to be confident in his English, if he's included so many characters." Dylan whispered even softer than before. The others glanced at her but resumed what they were doing before. Jessie whimpered and shook his head.

"Here, these are my notes for basic Japanese, at least try to write half in Japanese. Be nice, and learn." Dylan shoved the notebook with easy to understand notes about the language at the senior. She focused on her letter until she deemed it decent, and attached the corrections to the back, and put it in the out box.

"Bye, Jessie. See you tomorrow!" Dylan slung her back pack over her shoulder, and left the classroom. She pulled out her phone when it buzzed.

From: Mom

Sent: 17:49

Tutoring has been moved to the company. You'll be observing how I run a meeting. Be there soon, and wear your uniform properly.

Love, Mom.

Dylan sighed, exasperated. Yay. A meeting. Fun. Well, there was no fighting it, so might as well go into it with a somewhat positive attitude. Best way to do that was to take her mind off of it.

Hm. The school needed to water their hydrangea bushes soon, or they would die. She watched as people talked and walked around the campus of her school. Mom wouldn't be happy if she delayed going to her tiresome version of tutoring once again. Dylan unrolled her sleeves, and picked up the pace.

☆☆☆☆

big thanks to my beta, pandawritings!!! they've helped me out a lot with these past few chapters!