Chapter 39

Third Person

Marshall was shocked and confused. It should have worked. Why didn't it work? Was Gumball too weak? Was Marshall too late? No. Vampire venom could heal practically anything. The Candy Prince hadn't died. He might have been close to it, but he didn't. But right now it seemed like his death was inevitable.

"N-No! No this should have worked! Why isn't it working!?" he yelled, looking back at Pound Cake with tears in his eyes.

She didn't know what to tell him. She wasn't familiar with the process of becoming a vampire. She hardly knew the anatomy of a vampire. She couldn't answer his question but could see the heartbreak in his eyes.

"Please, Pound Cake! There has to be something!!!" the vampire pleaded, realizing his worst fear was coming to life.

"I-I'm sorry Marshall... I don't know enough about your kind to know what to do in this situation..." she apologized, having great sympathy for the couple.

Marshall didn't think that was good enough. He wasn't going to give up on his partner. That was one thing he refused to do. He loved Gumball more than anything. They had a child now. He couldn't just give up and watch the one he loved die.

"It's gonna be okay..." he whispered with tears streaming from his eyes.

Marshall then bit all up and down the other's arms, transferring his blood into the bites. He was determined to help his love survive. It didn't matter how many bites it took or how much he had to cut his tongue. If he had to do it every day for the rest of his life, he would. No amount of pain or discomfort would stop him.

Gumball was practically dead at this time. Although he wasn't dead yet. The venom was keeping him alive. But it was the painkillers that were stopping him from instantly turning and beginning to heal. The drugs were keeping his muscles at rest and numbing the rest of him from the pain. The venom wouldn't be taking effect until after it wore off. But no one around him knew this; not even Gumball himself realized it was the morphine.

Marshall was a complete mess. His lover was covered in bites caused by him, each dripping its own amount of blood. The vampire feared that he lost the one he loved. There were countless bites riddling his body and yet no reaction to the venom.

The vampire couldn't take it. He stormed out of the room right as Peppermint Maid had prepared to enter. One glance at Marshall and she knew what happened. She broke down in tears outside the door, unable to enter. She couldn't bear the thought of Gumball being dead.

Marshall had gone all the way upstairs and into Gumball's bedroom. He crumbled to the ground and cried out of losing the one he loved. He felt like he was a child again, crying after being lost for so long during the aftermath of the war.

He lost track of time completely. He didn't know if it had been minutes or hours, but he guessed hours. The one he loved was no longer with him. It was the worst pain he could ever imagine. His heart was shattered and he would never feel the same again.

Marshall was so upset with himself that he didn't hear the door to the room open. He wanted to disappear from the world and never return at the moment, but then reality hit him. He couldn't. He had to be strong and raise their son, no matter how much pain he was in and even if he had to do it alone.

"Marshall, you don't have to do it alone."

The vampire jumped up and hugged Gumball tightly, never wanting to let go. He was so happy and relieved that the one he loved was actually alive. Well, not alive per say, but was still with him.

"I thought I lost you..." Marshall whispered, hugging him tighter.

"You didn't. You're never going to lose me."