Chapter 15 - The Keeper of City Lights

The radiant light wrapped all around Sierra and Biaque as it rose swiftly towards them from the river. Sierra could make out the features of a woman's face just beneath the surface of the water. It was huge, about the length of her kitchen. A mischievous smile creased her beautiful lips. Her eyelids were half closed in that sleepy dazed look that boys at school call bedroom eyes. Tightly wound braids of pure light swirled in the water around her rising head.

"Lucera!" Sierra yelled into the river. "Lucera, come back! We need you back!"

Everything seemed so still for just a moment. Even the pressure canons stopped booming on the shore, and Sierra heard only the soft lapping of river waves. Then the light pushed up above the surface of the water, shooting blinding rays out into the night sky. A soft, angelic hum rang out as Lucera's head emerged before them. Sierra felt a tingling sensation begin in her tummy and expand out all over body like a strange wind. Lucera's soft eyes projected their golden glow in a cocoon around whatever they rested on.

"¿Qúe pasa, mami?" Biaque said with a chuckle. "Long time and no esee."

The gently humming voices merged into one magnificent one and Lucera said: "Alright, Biaque, you told me so. I gotya. No need to rub it in."

"No, no," Biaque laughed. "I have no idea what you are talking about. But, yes, everything has fallen apart and Twork has made his takeover and we are basically in a bad way."

"So I've heard. Rios has kept me fairly well informed actually."

"Can you please help my brother?" Sierra blurted out.

Lucera turned her majestic gaze towards Sierra, who was wrapped tightly in Biaque's grasp, hovering just above the surface of the water. The keeper's glowing eyes seemed to take her in fully, envelop her in their warmth and dig deep inside her. Sierra felt like everything she'd ever tried to keep secret had just been laid bare. Lucera looked back to Biaque. "Who's your friend?"

"This is the new representative of the people, Sierra Santiago."

For the first time since she emerged from the river, the keeper of city lights dropped that sardonic smile. "Santiago as in Lázaro Santiago?"

"The very same. She is the niece."

Lucera looked back at Sierra, this time with a new air of respect. "Reeeeeally? She's young, Biaque," she hummed. "And your brother? The nephew. What happened to him?"

"He jumped into the river to get the Schermerhorn's soldiers to attack the water so the river keepers would counter attack and we could come and get you." Sierra was having a hard time keeping the scorn from her voice and Lucera seemed to notice. A moment passed and Sierra's words hung awkwardly in the air between her and the keeper.

"He's fifteen, black spikey hair?"

Sierra couldn't help laughing. "Seventeen, but yeah, he's always been short. Yeah, spiky hair, dark clothes. Roquero type."

"Your brother's alright," Lucera said. Sierra felt her tensed up muscles start to ease. "Rios grabbed him as soon as he hit the water and protected him. I believe they knew exactly what he was doing. Everything was ready for an attack."

"Can we see him?"

Biaque had already turned and began gliding quickly towards the shore. Lucera's humongous shining head kept pace in the water beside them.