I

Kayden

       The howling wind.

       A pounding heartbeat.

      A sharp pain.

      My eyes snapped open to a bright room. I squinted as I sat up. The air was stagnant and reeked of chlorine. My head throbbed with every breath I took. I tried to lift my hand to my head, but was stopped by cold metal around my wrist. Why was I handcuffed to the bed? I looked around wildly, hoping to find a security camera. Listening intently, I heard a humming. Turning towards it, I found my target. "Hey! Is anyone there? Someone come in here and explain!" I coughed after shouting out from my dry throat. Two people barged in from the right side of the room. One was a tall, dark-haired man who went over to a rack of tablets. The other was a woman with red hair and beautiful sapphire eyes. She brought me a glass of water. After draining the cup, I started asking, "Who are you? Why am I handcuffed? Where am I?"

      "Calm down, everything will be alright. Are you able to tell me your name," She calmly responded albeit a bit tensely.

      "N-no, I don't know who I am. Answer my questions."

      "My name is Elsie Jerome and this is Edmund Walton. He's my teammate. You are at the Unit of Celestial Beings headquarters in the hospital wing. Do you remember anything?"

      "Um, I like flowers."

      She gave me a small smile and turned to her teammate, who'd made his way over with a tablet, "What do you think doc?"

      He responded with, "When she hit her head, she got a concussion. That resulted in what we see now, amnesia. It is unknown how long it'll take to get all of her memories back."

      At some point during Edmund's speech, something tugged in my gut, deep inside. More of a subtle pulling causing my mood to worsen the tiniest bit with a mingling taste of somber melancholy and confusion in the pits of my mind. Not wanting to bring too much attention to it at the moment, I ignored it, playing it off as a sense of disorientation with my new surroundings.

      "What is the Unit of Celestial Beings anyway?" I furrowed my eyebrows as I grew irritated at the lack of information.

      Elsie brought a small chair over and sat down in it before explaining. "The U.C.B., for short, is an area of the U.S. government that covers all unconventional and paranormal happenings. Its agents are controlled by Superintendent Celeste Woodberry. I am Blue Jay, the leader of a small group that defends everyone on this planet and other planets if it ever comes to that. Other members are Edmund - who is known as Mechanic - and Warlock. Warlock is Sebastian Paine. You'll meet him later."

      "Why are you called Blue Jay?" I asked with curiosity.

      She shrugged, "I can fly. Also, I'm kind of an air-bender."

      "Air . . . Bender?"

      "You have much to learn."

      I cracked a smile at that, ignoring the double meaning. Edmund cleared his throat, "Celeste needs to talk to her now," Edmund announced.

      "Of course. Can't keep the Superintendent waiting and all that," she said, getting up, "Seeing as you're in a hospital gown, I'll get you some of my clothes. Wait here."

      "I'm not going anywhere," I responded.

      As their footsteps faded, I pulled at the bit of silver holding me to the bed. There was so much I didn't know. Did I have any siblings? What's that feeling I get when someone talks about me? Why am I here? Suddenly, I felt a searing pain behind my eyes. Images of a tan lady in a suit, another woman in all red, a metal beam, and the night sky flashed as I fell to my knees.