Ti Amo, Fratello

The leader's words sat deep in their minds, words neither one of them had expected to hear, words that felt like pits in their stomachs.

"One of you has to die. We have no need for two representatives of the country. Please make your decision by the end of this week."

Veneziano and Romano sat on their bed together, sunlight slipping through the partially closed curtains of their slightly darkened room. They had been there ever since the meeting this morning.

"Romano...--"

"Shut up." It had been like that for hours. Vene would attempt to speak, but Romano shut him down as quick as he could. He didn't want to talk about it, didn't want to think about it. His hand had held onto Vene's tightly despite Romano's calm demeanor.

"But--"

"I said shut up!" A yelp was heard from the other side of the bedroom door. Who could have been listening to their conversation? Or lack there of? "Whoever it is better have a damn good reason for eavesdropping," Romano snapped towards the door, which slowly creaked open.

"Ayiyiyi, Romano. Scary as ever, no?" Spain cautiously stepped into the room, slowly closing it behind him. "Lo thiento for spying." His lisp fell through the words. "I was just worried for the two of you."

"Shut it. We didn't ask for your--"

"Romano, I'm going to go downstairs and eat," Vene's soft voice managed to cut through Romano's harsh tone. "I'll save you a plate, ve?" Without making eye contact to anyone, the smaller Italian stood and shakily made his way to the door, only to be pulled into a crushing hug by the Spaniard.

"Lo siento, mi hermano," he whispered softly before releasing him. Vene took a shaky breath before leaving the room, the door practically trembling as Vene held it tight before shutting it.

"You made him leave!" Romano exclaimed, anger clearly visible in his cheeks.

"I-I didn't do a thing! Look, I just came to check up on you two!"

"Well you stayed long enough! Is too much to ask to spend a little time with him before I--" He stopped himself before averting his gaze. He had already decided who it would be to live. "Look..." His voice was lighter now. "Please, I just want to spend these last few moments with Vene..."

"...So you decided?" Spain's voice sounded forced. "I see."

"There's no way Vene could do it," Romano mumbled. "And I--"

"I think you made the right choice."

Romano's blood ran cold. "Wh...Why do you think that...?"

"You were right. Vene can't do this. He wouldn't." The Spaniard slowly stepped over to the now trembling Italian. "Romano..."

"Sh-Shut up. Just shut up!" Romano took his own step back. "Do you think I want to take his place?! I don't want this! I don't want either of us to do this! And yet here you are thinking I made a good choice! Nothing in this situation is a good choice you bastard!" At the final word, Romano shoved past him and forced his way out the door, his destination being the kitchen where he knew his little brother would be waiting.

"Veneziano!" The male exclaimed before reaching the kitchen. "H-Hey, want to go get some gelato instead? O-Or maybe some--" Pushing past the door, Vene's back was to the older Italian, his figure unmoving. "V-Vene?"

"O-Oh! Ciao, Romano!" Vene called back to his brother without meeting his gaze. "I-I just got done making some pasta."

"Never mind that. Let's...Let's go out for lunch. We can go whoever you want and you can get whatever you want. So...andiamo, fratel--Put that down!"

Vene had raised a gun to his temple, his face stained with tears as the gun shook in his hand. "I-I'm sure I won't feel anything, r-right? I-I heard this is quick."

"V-Vene...l-lower the gun..." Romano took cautious steps towards his brother. "W-We have the whole week to decide this."

"Wh-Why spend the week worrying about it? I-I can end it quick. W-We won't have to worry about the leader deciding."

"Veneziano, mi fratellino, listen to me, per favore..."

Vene ever so slowly turned to face Romano, who could finally see his brother's tear streaked red face. The gun was still firmly pressed against his skull.

"Now...lower the gun..."

An oddly relaxed smile rested on Vene's face at this point. His finger moved towards the trigger.

"I love you so much, fratello." His body suddenly went still. "Ciao, Italy."

BANG!

"Veneziano!!"

---

"Mr. Italy, Japan is here to discuss a possible trade deal regarding our noodles. Are you ready?"

Romano gazed into the mirror, a black suit donned over his body as he fixed a few strands of hair. "Si. Un momento." Romano fixed the part in his hair, adjusting it so it rested right down the middle. "I'm coming."