Chapter Five

"Hey." I look up from just having packed a load of logs into the newly built wood shed and find Silas leaning over my shoulder. He leans in and plants a kiss on my cheek and I can't help but smile even though I'm kind of sweaty and gross. It's not really like Silas to be so affectionate, but I have to admit, I like it. "Want some help?" He asks and my heart melts a little more.

"Always." I tell him earnestly. It's been four days since Megan was shot and Abby and I have definitely been missing her help with the wood chopping- production is at an all time low.

Silas walks back to the truck with me and grabs a huge armload of wood, at least twice the size of the one I've been carrying. He carries it without even breaking a sweat and I can't help but feel a small nudge of jealousy. I grab my usual amount and trudge after him, ignoring Abby as she waggles her eyebrows at me on her way back to the truck for her own load of wood.

"We need a conveyer belt." I huff as we finally reach the bottom of the pile, and Abby nods her head enthusiastically, making Silas roll his eyes at both of us.

"I wanted to talk to you." Silas says, grabbing my hand and pulling me to the side.

"Is it about a conveyer belt?" Abby asks hopefully and I can't help but burst out laughing.

"Not gonna happen." Silas tells her without an ounce of sympathy, and not for the first time I am so thankful for the people in my life that made it here with me. I might be trapped in the middle of nowhere, and there might be zombies... frozen zombies for now, but at least I still have my best friends, my boyfriend, and my family.

"I'll meet you in the house." Abby calls back, already making her way to the front of the cabin. I shoot her a grateful smile and turn back towards Silas. "What did you want to talk about?" I ask as I move forward to step into his arms. He reaches out to wrap his arms around me, but the look on his face has the smile melting off my face. I stop just out of his reach and cross my arms across my chest.

"What's going on?" I demand and he holds his hands up in mock surrender.

"Take it easy Blondie. Nothing is wrong." He tells me, but for some reason I don't believe him.

"Tell me then. Let me decide for myself." I persist and he looks momentarily uncomfortable.

"Yesterday we talked about...communicating better." Silas says, nearly choking on the word communicating- he's such a guy.

"Yes." I affirm, nodding my head, just in case this is a question and not just a general statement.

"This isn't a big deal at all, but I'm going up the mountain to look for bigger game, and I'll be gone a few days. I just wanted to let you know so you wouldn't be worried."

I stare at him blankly for a minute, not sure if he is joking or not, but of course this is Silas, so he isn't.

"Who are you going with?" I demand and he shrugs, like the answer should be obvious.

"Myself."

"No.

"He's already shaking his head. "I know it isn't ideal, but everyone else is busy. It's my job to feed us and that's what I'm going to do."

"But..." I start to say and Silas' face darkens.

"I knew you'd act like this." He accuses and I shut my mouth with a snap. What the hell did he just say? "That's why I didn't want to tell you. You're going to make a big deal about it and I'm going to go, and I will be fine." He sees me about to speak, and beats me to it again. "I'm tired Blondie." He tells me before turning his back on me and taking off.