Prolouge

Poppystar perched on her branch, looking down at her clan. In the centre of the clearing, stood a light brown tabby tom and a black she-cat. Both looked around them with fear in their eyes and bristling fur.
"Birchstripe, is there anything you would like to say?" Poppystar meowed over the enraged hisses and yowls of the cats of Riverclan. The clan fell silent as he stepped forwards.
"I- look, I'm sorry, ok? I didn't mean to! It's just, well, these things happen. You of all cats should know that, Poppystar." Poppystar looked away. He was right. Her parents were from different clans. The clan burst into snarls of outrage.
"How dare you bring Poppystar into this!"
"At least her parents were clan cats. She's a rogue!"
"Rogue scum!" The black she-cat bristled and leaped at the cat who had yowled the insult. Birchstripe dragged her away by the scruff.

"Everyone, be quiet!" Brackenwhisker, the deputy, yowled, "Stop behaving like kits." With a nod to Birchstripe, he settled down again. This time, Birchstripe turned to a small silver she-cat who was watching him from outside the nursery.
"Frostfall, you forgive me, right." There was a note of pleading in his voice and Poppystar couldn't help but feel sorry for him. The silver she-cat exploded with rage.
"Why in Starclan's name would I forgive you, of all cats! I'm your mate and you cheated on me with this...this...rogue! We have kits, in case you'd forgotten. I thought you loved me!"
"But Frostfall-"
"I don't want to hear another word from you, you lying pile of foxdung!" Frostfall whipped round and stalked back into the nursery.

Poppystar adjusted herself. She could see that the clan was shocked. The silver cat had a short temper and had been known to have outbursts of rage from time to time, but never as strong as that.
"Birchstripe, we must think of a punishment for you."
"Just a punishment? He broke the most sacred law of the warrior code! And we know that he killed Scarletsun. The only thing he deserves is exile!" This time the meow came from Junipernose, one of the senior warriors. He and Birchstripe had always held a grudge against one another. The rest of the clan muttered in agreement.
"I did no such thing," Birchstripe pleaded with his clan, "just let me stay. Nothing like this will happen again." Birchstripe's ears were flat against his head as he was surrounded.
"Prove it," Junipernose snarled. Birchstripe glared at the dark grey tabby tom.
"I can't," he admitted. Junipernose sat up triumphantly. Poppystar took a deep breath.
"Birchstripe, I am afraid, that for your own safety, you are exiled from Riverclan." Her last words were drowned out by yowls of triumph. Birchstripe nodded.
"I understand, Poppystar. Thank you." Poppystar dipped her head to him as he padded away with Wild. The cats drew back to let him pass. Birchstripe stopped by Frostfall, who had brought out her two kits.
"Mama, where's father going?" One of them squeaked. Frostfall narrowed her eyes.
"That cat is not your father!" She spat, pushing them back into the nursery. Birchstripe broke away from Wild to confront her.
"Frostfall, please let me say goodbye to my kits!" Poppystar winced at the anguish in his voice. Frostfall whipped round.
"No, you can't! The only kits of yours are the kits of hers!" She glared towards Wild, who pulled him Birchstripe away, muttering something in his ear. As they padded out of camp, Poppystar couldn't help wondering if she had made the right desicion

Brought to you by Dawn