Chapter 6

Thankfully the next day was a Saturday because I don't know if I could deal with school after a day like yesterday. The sun coming in from the windows woke me up. Hayden was still wrapped around me, I had never felt more content than I did right now. I didn't want to get up my bladder was telling me I didn't have a choice.

I slipped out from under his arm and scurried to the bathroom. He rolled over and let out a loud yawn as I rushed out. I relieved myself and washed my hands. Staring at my sunken eyes in the mirror I felt bad that I looked so terrible. I was hoping my sleep would have made me look more lively. Yesterday must have just been too much emotionally.

When I returned to Hayden's room he had rolled over and gone back to sleep. I climbed in behind him and took his place as the big spoon. His frame was so much bigger than mine that it didn't work out as nicely but it felt nice to just hug him. His face looked like it was going to heal quickly. Morgan had cleaned him up and bandaged a few cuts. I saw his mouth curl up slightly but he let me continue to hold onto him.

He was so warm and his heartbeat was so calm that I could only feel it if I paid close attention. I tried to doze back off but just couldn't. I was awake now but I didn't want to leave this bed. I dealt with this inner conflict by forcing myself back to sleep.

Hayden finally rolled over and ran his thumb up and down my nose. I opened my eyes and smiled at him. He looked so peaceful. His eye still blackened and I now noticed other parts of his face were swollen. "Good morning gorgeous," I chuckled.

A smile reminded me of his chipped tooth. "Good morning," he yawned before making an exaggerated effort to stretch out. During his stretches he wedged his right arm in the crook of my neck  and pulled me into his side.

"What did you tell your moms?" I asked cutting right to the chase.

He laughed and relaxed from his stretching. "I bet you are just dying to know, aren't you?" he smiled.

"Do they hate me?" I asked planning for the worse.

"Not in the slightest," he said shaking his head. "Amy could never hate you, she was raped, I am a product of her rape." He reminded me her "matter-of-fact". "She feels terrible for you. She said she would talk to your mom for you. Ya' know like mom-to-mom, see if she can't get through to her. And if not then she said she would help in any way possible."

I was grateful for Hayden and his moms. Since day one those three had played a huge part in my up bringing. They say it takes a village to raise a child and it definitely took one to raise me.

My dad was my rock when I was kid. He was always encouraging me to do good and be positive in the world. When I was in middle school I got caught up in trying to be a "cool kid". I didn't want to be popular by any means, I guess you could say I wanted to be a rebel. I died my light brown hair jet black. I started wearing heavy eyeliner and lots of band t-shirts. Some people might call this my "emo phase". I pushed my family away and started relying on friends more than my parents. My dad died during my eighth grade year when he fell off a water tower, and it nearly killed me. I felt so awful for being so mean to him in the last year of his life. I wanted so badly to take it all back and let him know how much he really meant to me. All I wanted to do was say that I was sorry.

I really went downhill after that.

My dad was gone alone a lot because of work but I could always call him. But now he was gone and never coming back. I quit applying myself in school. I took up recreational drugs like weed, and some hallucinogens. Even prescription pills when I could get my hands on them. Hayden was the person I would call when I would wake up and not know where I was. I stayed at his house a lot my ninth grade year. He took care of me while I dealt with my dads passing. I could never thank him enough for that.