Chapter 1

Chapter one

--

Adam walked into the kitchen, stretching his body. He had just woken up and he felt no emotion this morning. The curtains were drawn tight, allowing no light into the big apartment he had all to himself. He began to make coffee, his hair messy and unruly beneath a black hoodie and grey sweatpants. He certainly did not look his best for around 8:30am. Eyeliner was smudged, as he had fallen asleep after a concert last night. His career was still trying to take wings and fly, but he had no idea what he would do in the future.

Adam's electric blue eyes searched for a mug and as he spotted one, a knock came at the door. Adam rubbed his smudge-y eyes and scowled, not wanting to accept this visitor at this un-godly hour of the morning. He trudged to the door and looked through the peep hole. He expected a scantily dressed girl wanting a good time, but then he saw the suit, and he snapped his brain out of its trudge. It was a man in a pinstripe black and grey suit, which made Adam's tired eyes go crazy. He opened the door and gave his most menacing look.

"What the hell do you want?" He asked, looking down at the middle aged businesses man.

"Does an "Adam" live here?" He asked, trying to look inside, but Adam moved his body so that it was blocking most of the crack in the door.

"Why?" He asked, crossing his arms. He wanted no part of whatever this guy wanted from him. He knew it was probably just a sales person or a door to door spokesman, but something in Adam held that urge to slam the door in the guy's face back.

"Ah. I see. Adam, may I come in?" The man asked, giving a sly smile.

"Who the hell are you?" He asked, blocking the door even tighter.

"I am Dr. Charlie Portville and I am from the Chicago Mental Department." He said, taking a card out of his pocket. The man found it remarkable how well Christine had drawn this.. Man.

"Yeah. You're mental alright. What do you want?" Adam asked, getting highly annoyed with the uptight manner of the Dr.

"We have this patient. Her name is confidential until further notice. However, last week we went to check on her and we found her drawing the name "Adam" over and over again. We have checked with all the "Adam"'s in the state, and none claim to have a relationship with this young lady." The man said, clasping his hands over the handles of his briefcase.

"And you think it's me?" Adam asked, thinking this was some sort of prank.

"We have acceptable reasons to believe so. We would like for you to meet her. Will you consider helping us figure her and her condition out?" Dr. Portville asked.

"Why should I?" He said, thinking this was some sort of lure to kidnap him.

"Because this young lady tried to kill herself over crying over your picture two days ago." The doctor looked at Adam waiting for an answer. Adam reached up and smoothed his hair over in astonishment. The words hung like bricks over Adam's head, threatening to come crashing down lest he say a word. His mind struggled to make sense of the jumble that reached his brain a few seconds ago.

"She did what?" He asked, his hand grabbing the doorframe. Even though he had no idea who the young girl was, he didn't want to be the reason someone would take their life over.

"She tried to cut herself to death. We found a picture of you crumpled in her hand... And it appeared to be hand drawn." The doctor said, his eyes stone slabs. Adam rubbed his eyes again and took a deep breath.

"Why?" He asked, thinking that the doctor probably wanted to know the same thing.

"We don't know. That's why we needed to find you." He said, the solemnity of his words oozing depression from the girl.