Chapter 11 - Courage...

It was almost time to leave. With Nicky it had sounded easy, but now? My heart raced. But how long should I stay cowardly inside? Millions of people went outside everyday. Why couldn't I be normal like everyone else? I was close to tears. I wanted to live a normal life again, a life without fear, a life with Nicky, my safe harbour! Was that too much to ask for? What had I done wrong to deserve that? It was just one wrong decision back then. I had simply trusted the wrong man! Tears fell from my eyes. I wanted to be strong again, I wanted to be brave, I wanted to be someone Nicky could be proud of!

'Sarah, I will join you today! Maria' I texted her. Soon I got her answer. 'Yeah, looking forward to it! Sarah' I grabbed my purse and called Nicky. Sweety! He said as he answered the phone. Nicky, I just wanted to tell you that I've decided to meet the girls. I smiled. Hey that's great! I'm very proud of you! He said and I heard his smile.

The bus stop wasn't far away from our place. Nickys presence at the phone made me feel safe. My Sweety, I hope the three of you have great fun! Enjoy your day! He said. I guess I will! I answered. I was very excited. I love you. He smiled. I love you too! I smiled back. I looked at the clock. Nicky, I need to go now, I have to hurry! I said. Take care, my love. He said and we ended the call.

As soon as I was alone, my worries came back. Suddenly I felt very insecure and vulnarable. He isn't here! I repeated the sentences over and over in my head. I really had to hurry to catch the bus. I knew there was a shortcut which would safe some minutes but I was afraid to leave the crowded street. He doesn't know where you are! I heard Nickys voice in my head. I took a deep breath and walked into the little street. Noone was here and my heart beat fastened. He isn't here! I told myself. This is a short street, not long and you will be at the bus stop. Don't panick. I sped up and I was relieved when I saw the big street after the light turn of the street. I heard a car behind me and stepped aside. Only one hundred meters and you are there. I thought. The car came nearer and I focused on the big street. Suddenly it stopped beside me and the door opened. Hello Sweetheart! A familiar voice said to me.

Nickys POV

I put my phone aside and couldn't stop smiling. I was just so proud of Maria. I knew how scared she was of going outside alone. But she had the courage to face her fear and go meeting her friends. Nico, why are you smiling like a lunatic? Shane asked me. Maria is on her way alone to meet Sophie and Sarah. I smiled proudly. Hey, great news! He answered. You love her, don't you? Shane asked me smiling. Yes, more than my life. I anwered. You don't know how happy I am for you. He said. Then we focused on our work again.

About 30 mimutes later Shanes mobile rang. Honey! He said into his phone with a wide smile. What? He asked. What do you mean not there? He looked at me worried. What is it? I asked him. Maria isn't with them. He said. She hasn't shown up yet. I felt my heart sink. Maria isn't with them yet? I asked concerned. No, they tried to reach her but she didn't answer. She should have by now. I said and my bones were shaking. My whole world began to fall in pieces. Where was she? I asked myself and suddenly I began to worry that her feeling of being watched could have been real. And I made her go! I hadn't stopped saying that she was absolutely safe. I accused myself.

Shane, we need to go. I said and grabbed my laptop for tracking her on the way.