Chapter 1: Genesis

The sun never did set on the Roman Empire, but one could say that this season would bring with it the start of a time of dusk. The backdrop of a foreboding epic was set and lines scripted as winter fell upon the great empire.

Behind the public eye, the recently appointed Roman Emperor, Antoninus Pius, shared intimacy with a beautiful young woman by the name of Calliope. Already a man of his early fifties when it came time to reign, Antoninus had started his relations with Calliope a few years ago when he decided to visit the northern region of the empire. Although the empire was at an all-time high time of peace, Antoninus would choose to rarely ever leave his estates in Rome, Calliope being one of those few exceptions. He had only been in office for two years when he received news that would alter the course of his life greatly.

"Come come, my king," Calliope sweetly called to Antoninus as he dismounted his horse. Calliope had prepared a simple, yet elegant picnic for the two just outside of her small cottage, where the extensive countryside that she resided in offered a tranquility that could not be achieved elsewhere.

Though aging, Antoninus was still a very fit man, even praised for it in fact. A tall, strong, jet-black haired man of a normally grave, yet wise countenance, Calliope never failed to bring out the soft side in him. Calliope herself was a tall young woman in her mid-twenties with clean, blonde hair and stormy gray eyes. Though young, she was self-educated and knew much about the Greek gods and mythos that were well before her and Antoninus' time. One of Antoninus' favorite things to do with her was sit and listen to her beautiful voice tell stories of the past with such detail and execution it was almost as if she lived through it herself. Because of this connection, Antoninus would sometimes call Calliope his "young goddess" in reference to her similarity to the goddess Athena.

"If you would so have me," Antoninus replied kindly, stopping shortly to give her a polite bow and take his seat next to Calliope on the simple fabric laid out on the grass.

"What grand feast have you prepared for us this fine afternoon, my young goddess?" he asked with a jovial smile on his face.

Calliope rummaged through a large weave basket and giggled lightly as she pulled out a large wheel of cheese. "Your favorite, of course! Freshly prepared this morning by Decius' wife."

Decius was one of the few Roman soldiers posted in the village Calliope conducted most of her business and was seen as more of a paternal figure in the community. His wife, subsequently, was also a role model of the village.

Calliope proceeded to pull out a variety of foodstuff, such as bread and bits of meats, and place them around the cloth. Antoninus helped arrange the food, all the while engaging in smalltalk. Once everything was laid out, the two ate together, enjoying the food as well as each other's company.

"I have news of great joy, Antoninus," Calliope said as she leaned into him and placed a soft hand over his.

Antoninus turned his hand over to grasp Calliope's and rubbed his thumb over the back of her hand affectionately, "What is it, my young goddess?"

Calliope squeezed the emperor's hand lightly and bit the bottom of her lip, clearly holding back much excitement. With her free hand, she rubbed her stomach.

"I am with child."

A mix of emotions rose up from within Antoninus. Very few knew of his visits to the northern part of the empire, but not a soul knew of his affair with the Germanic woman. It was not uncommon for emperors to bear offspring with concubines and other women, but here, with a woman he truly loved, it felt wrong. He still loved his wife, Faustina, but Calliope brought with her a youth that Faustina had lost long ago. It would be all too sudden for Antoninus to reveal his relations with Calliope and that a child had been conceived, but he could not stand by and leave her to her own. Not when she was expecting his child.