Chapter 1: Assistance

The champagne's cork popped vigorously and flew into the ceiling, hitting the roof which deflected it and bounced on the table; a small ruckus transpired as nine people tried to dodge the rampaging cork — almost hitting the old woman who tried to cover her head as though something was about to fall — before finally hitting the ground.

There was a brief moment of silence, then a wave of jocund laughter filled the place. Fabrizio, a middle-aged man wearing eyeglasses, poured the sparkling wine in each of their glasses excluding the little girl.

"For Emilia's new journey!" He raised his glass of champagne inches higher than his eyes, the others did the same.

"For Emilia!" everybody echoed.

Aria, the little girl, stood on a chair and tried to raise his glass of apple juice as high as she can.

Lively music on the background, they yelled, "Cin cin!" They toasted their glasses to celebrate his cousin's graduation, took a sip, and scattered across four different rooms.

The women — Adrian's mother and his two aunts — went to the kitchen to start cooking the main course; his grandmother and his little cousin Aria headed for the living room to watch television; Emilia went for her phone in the bedroom; and the boys — him and his two uncles — stayed in the dining room to finish the appetizers.

The extensive rectangular dining table was set with white mantle and a vibrant line of pink and white flowers on the center; beside the flowers stood two bottles of uncorked Ferrari Champagnes. A plate of half consumed bruschette, a basket of focaccia, and three bowls of minestrone soup were set on the left end of the table.

The three of them were having a conversation about the upcoming football match when Uncle Fabrizio's phone rang, the table vibrating upon it. He put the chalice down, dusted the crumbs off his finger, then stood up and answered the phone.

Adrian's attention were suddenly diverted from Uncle Fabrizio to his other uncle, ears twitching upon an odd but familiar question.

"May girlfriend ka na ba?" Emilia's father randomly asked.

The jolly beam on his face was quickly replaced by a jiffy frown. Adrian was deeply reminded why he didn't want family gatherings. It's moments like this when he thinks it's better to not have relatives at all. If not for Emilia Vitale — his cousin who freshly graduated from the university — he wouldn't even think twice to reject their dinner invitation.

Sa tuwing may espesyal na okasyon — na madalas maganap sa pamilya ni Emilia — ay laging naiimbitahan sina Adrian at ang kanyang ina na maghapunan sa bahay ng pamilya Vitale. And every time they went, he always gets bombarded with the same stupid question by his same stupid Uncle.

Why don't you just shut your mouth and mind your own business, Tito?

Kagaya ng mga nagdaang salo-salo, nanatili ang mga katagang ito sa loob ng kanyang utak. Hindi siya gano'n katapang para sambitin ang mga salitang ito, ngunit pakiramdam niya sa susunod na beses na may magtanong nito sa kanya ay hindi na niya mapipigilan pa ang sariling pumakli.

Umiling si Adrian.

"Ilang taon ka na nga ulit?" asked his uncle, placing the spoon back to the bowl of orange soup.

Uncle Flavio is two years younger than Uncle Fabrizio but he looks way older than the latter. He has a long, narrow face, bulging eyes, large, yellow teeth with loose lips, and a weird parted haircut. He reminded him of a horse he rode when he was younger.

"Twenty po."

"Twenty?" — his eyes flickered with disbelief — "at wala ka pa ring girlfriend?" Uncle Flavio tutted. "Kailangan mo nang maghanap! Mag-explore ka habang bata ka pa. Pag ikaw tumanda magsisisi ka."