The Princess and the Scoundrel

i don't really know you but it's cosplay day in school and we happened to dress like couple AU stydia

------

"Alright. I, Lydia Martin, am very sorry for ditching you at the party to flirt with Jackson Whittemore."

"And?"

"Do I have to say it?"

"Mm-hmm."

"Allie. Stop smiling like that!" Lydia complained. "You're not even mad at me, you're just doing this on purpose."

"Just say it, Lydia," her friend sang. To a casual observer the brunette's bright brown eyes might have just been sparkling prettily but Lydia recognised the mischievous glint straight away.

She huffed. "And for making out with your boyfriend."

Allison grinned, satisfied.

"I was very drunk," Lydia grumbled.

"I know," the taller girl replied. "Which is why I'm gonna go easy on you."

------

Lydia always thought the costume carnival was a bad idea. But Beacon Hills High School was celebrating it's 75th birthday and the administration decided making the students dress up was an appropriate way to rise to the occasion.

She was surprised to see people getting out of their cars in various costumes, some she could recognise and some she couldn't. She didn't think anyone would take the costume party seriously; she expected to be the only one who came to school dressed up.

Lydia sighed, both in relief and a sense of I can't believe I'm letting Allison make me do this.

She grabbed her purse and the pool of fabric on her shotgun seat as she stepped out of her car before shrugging the material over her shoulders. Allison's mother had tailored the heavy cloth with embroidered patterns into a sleeveless cloak that fell to Lydia's ankles. The cream colour offset the reddish-brown of her attire underneath: a new dress Allison bought for her, and a pair of skinny-cut pants Lydia already owned.

Allison was waiting for her below the steps leading up to the school doors. Lydia surveyed her friend's outfit. Black jacket over a black tank top and black jeans, paired with black boots.

"You don't look very different," she remarked.

Allison grinned and pulled up her jacket sleeve as an answer. A swirling black symbol had been painted on her arm. "I'm Allison Lightwood today."

She turned around so Lydia could see another swirl sticking out of her collar behind her neck.

"I brought a bow too, but I'm not sure if it'll be confiscated as a 'weapon'," the brunette continued. "I've stuffed it in my bag."

"You're nationally ranked in archery and trained in mixed martial arts," Lydia informed her. "Everything you hold could be a weapon. Now can you tell me who I'm dressed as?"

Allison just grinned slyly and motioned to the double doors. "You'll find out soon enough."

Soon enough turned out to be four minutes before first period. She strolled into the classroom, spotting Danny, back to her at the far end of the classroom, and made a beeline for him. It was only when she reached the last column of desks did she realise who Danny was talking to.

He just had to angle his body to face right down the row. Tall, lanky, grown out hair a spiked nest on his head. His eyes landed on her as she approached, and he trailed off in his argument about a falcon and an enterprise.