Getting ready to face

"Mom, do I really have to do this?" I asked my mom.
My mother, who was in her forties, looked at me disappointed.
"Of coarse you do, darling. Anne is one of my greatest friends, today is her birthday. The least you could do was showing some respect by showing up" she said.

Well, I guess she was right. Anne was my mothers best friend, and I've met hear a couple of times. She was absolutely lovely, always kind and welcoming"

"Okay. I will go dressed" I say, giving my mother a defeated smile.

My room was simple and white, very organized and clean. just how I liked it.

I went to my closet and searched for something to wear. I ended up choosing a black slight skirt, and some funky top with green, gold and white sequence on. I looked cute! I straightened my normally wavy hair, and applied my make up, I went with green eyeshadow to match my top. I was about 5,5 feet tall, and I get that thatis kind of average. But I almost always wear heels. I put a pair of Jeffery Cambell shoes on my feet, and grab my purse, I went downstairs to my mom, so we could get moving.

"You look lovely my dear" my mother said half-hearted. "Let's go"

When we got in the car. My mom started talking about how much she couldn't wait to see Anne.

"It has been such a long time, I hope she's doing well. I wonder if Harry is gonna be there" she said. I just nodded and said me too. But truth is, I have no idea who this 'Harry' person is. Probably her husband, or dog or something. I quickly brushed the thought off, when my favorite song came on the radio.

"Uh, turn it up" I almost squealed. The song was Uptown funk by Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars. I never really liked the song, it's just fun. I'm more into rock and punk, believe it pe not. nonetheless I started singing a long.

"You sing so well honey, you need to do something with your voice. It's beautiful" I just smiled, and kept singing. By now, I was used to my mom pressuring me about my voice, it happened all the time.

Anne's house was absolutely adorable. (And really big) but who am I to blame, our house is huge.
When we went in, the first thing I saw was Anne running to us.

"Julianna you look dashing. You're growing up to be such a beautiful woman" Anne said to me. Julianna. That was me. But everybody called me Julie or Anna.

I gave Anne a big smile, and a hug. "Why, thank you. I'm trying" I joked.
"How old are you again sweety?" Anne kindly asked.
"I turned 18 a few weeks ago." I answered, smiling. Anne grabbed my hands and squeezed them. "You're such a wonderful woman"
Then she let go of my hands. I smiled genuinely.

Anne moved over to my mother, and whispered something in her ear. My mother seemed to agree, cause they both looked extremely happy.

I looked around. The party mostly considered of 30-60 year old people, and there was no one my age." I sighed for myself. This was going to be a long night, I guess I should see if there's a bar I thought.