Chapter Thirty-Six: Graduation- Part Two

As Fire Lady Iylah had told her, Risho ended up getting the apprenticeship. She'd been told that her first set of orders would arrive at her 'place of dwelling' within the week. Risho wondered what that was supposed to mean. Why the couldn't just have said 'house'. It wasn't like any of the snooty Royal Fire Nation Academy students lived in caves, did they?

Anyways, with everything else in order, Xue Lo had agreed to wait outside for her and Azar until after the celebratory dance was over. It wasn't a place for adults, she'd said with a wink. Sometimes Risho wondered about her mother...but she really couldn't complain. She slipped inside of the Special Events hall that was located between both of the schools.

The inside took her breath away. She couldn't remember having ever seen the hall in use- or with anything in it but a few dusty candelabras lining the walls.

Tonight, the red carpets had been rolled out, the walls had been polished until they shined and the banners of the Fire Nation hung from the ceiling. Dazzling blue and orange flames illuminated the room, drawing Risho's eyes away from the traditional band that played in the corner.

A couple of people danced, but being teenagers, most people chattered about a whole lot of nothing in clusters all around the room. Some just sat alone. She found herself searching for one of those people in particular, although she'd never admit that she was actually doing it, and was interrupted before she succeeded in her mission.

"I was wondering if you'd turn up," said Kiron Gi, taking her arm, "people were saying you passed out again. That's not true, is it?"

She shook her head. "No, my mom was just worried and kept me under observation longer than she should have. Sorry to keep you waiting."

"No worries, there's lots of other people here." There wasn't an ounce of silliness in his voice. Risho wasn't sure that she appreciated the sincerity for once. But she wouldn't dwell on it. Tonight was a happy night.

Another barrier knocked over. Another hurdle jumped. She may have hit her foot on the bar, but she'd made it over. It was time to celebrate.

She had nothing to be guilty about.

She had no one to feel sorry for and-

"How's the food?" she asked Kiron Gi with a smile as they selected a table, which she realized was startlingly close to the eighteen year-old graduate tables. She knew she could take them in a fight if the need arose, but she'd had enough excitement for one day.

"Fireflakes are hotter than lava. Perfect. Would you like some?"

She couldn't keep from making a face. "No thanks, I'm actually not that fond of fireflakes, really."

Kiron Gi raised an eyebrow. "You're joking, right? A girl who can't burn can't handle-"

"Nope. Too spicy."

"I'm sorry," said Kiron Gi with a smile in his voice, "this is never going to work out."

She laughed and helped herself to a piece of the frosted cookie centrepiece. "Is that what you said to Haruko?" Her hand flew to her mouth as soon as she'd finished speaking. She had to get that under control! She'd been warned that her mouth would get her into trouble some day...more than she'd been in already.

Kiron Gi's expression hardened and he helped himself to a cookie, watering-down the effect a bit. "That's what she told me. And really, I don't think that's any of your business."

"Yeah, I'm just here for show, aren't I?"

His face looked like Choruk had frozen it solid with waterbending. Only his eyes moved, darting around the room as he told her that he had to go...clean his salamandragon's cage while going to the bathroom? Whichever of those was his main excuse, he left to go do it, leaving Risho alone at the table. She didn't mind half as much as she should have. Although really, she was the second choice.