Prologue

dedicated to: shereally

warning: this scene contains mild graphic detail and violence.

———————————

Prologue

2 Years Earlier

Heart pulsing, breathing erratic, hands clenched together so tight that his nails pierce right into his skin. Nate can taste the metallic taste of blood pooling around in his mouth. He turns his face to the side, never once peeling his eyes away from the prey in front of him, and spits out a residue of blood mixed with saliva on the worn out cage floor.

His opponent, the six foot–something–beast, easily towers over him. The opponent's brown, or possibly hazel eyes, are locked onto Nate's. The cut on the opponent's left brow bone has caused it to swell up twice its original size. His right eye is covered with blood that has trickled and dried down on the bare skin of his shoulder. Nate smirks proudly.

However this predator is far from amused. His whole body tenses as he clenches his jaw and brings his fists up to his face, probably feeling the urge to knock the smirk right off Nate's mouth. The inside of the cage is hot, but the blood pulsing through Nate's veins can cause a heatwave. Adrenaline pumps through his body as the crowd roars.

The opponent's bloodshot eyes move from Nate and focus on the man to his left, anxiously waiting for him to sound the klaxon. Nate closes his eyes and waits patiently, listening to the rhythmic pattern of his heartbeat as it bangs erratically against his chest. After what feels like a millenium, the loud shriek of the klaxon echoes through the entire building and his eyes shoot open. The beast charges towards him with a growl. On instinct Nate ducks down to dodge an attack, immediately swinging his right hand to land a jab on his opponent's abdomen.

The beast stumbles when Nate lands a successful blow, however that only fuels his anger as he growls again and wraps his large arms around Nate's waist, catching him off guard. Nate finds himself being driven backwards until his back hits the cage, the opponent using his body weight to crush Nate against the cold hard metal, practically suffocating him until he can see stars.

Nate can barely keep his eyes open and the cheering crowd soon begins to fade. This man is twice his size and age, clearly past the stage of caring whether or not his actions kill Nate. He probably wants to kill him. The opponent swings his left arm from underneath for an uppercut, only this time he lands the blow.

Nate stumbles from the harsh impact, instantly tasting fresh blood when his bottom teeth cut into his tongue. His eyes become heavier as he sways side to side, clearly struggling to regain his balance yet he stubbornly brings his arms up to a fighting stance. A grin spreads across the beast's face since he is clearly convinced that he has won the fight.

Nate lunges towards him to drive his knee into his stomach, which causes the beast to double over and let out a pained yell as he tries desperately to rope his long arms around Nate's neck. Nate uses his trusty left foot to kick him in the jaw and watches triumphantly as the opponent stumbles backwards. The opponent shakes his head to try and keep his eyes open.

Nate takes a deep breath and recites in his head:

Feet flat on the ground, stand at least a foot away from the opponent, have your left leg ready to swing, mark the opponent's weak point, let him stumble, go for the swing, hit the 360, and BAM.

Nate's foot brutally connects with the opponent's jaw and the crowd watches as he loses consciousness and lands flat on his back.

The place falls silent.

Nate stares at the lifeless body lying on the ground. The crowd also silently stare at the motionless body, trying to piece together how a scrawny sixteen year old like Nate had managed to take down a large, fully grown man. In a split second the whole place erupts into a fit of cheering and applause.

The door of the cage swings open to allow Nate to escape. He slowly and painfully walks out of the cage, his feet sore with every step that is taken. Two large arms grab his bare shoulders and he finds himself being ushered away to a room in the back.

"You did it kid! You fucking did it!" Tony's gravelly voice rings through his ears.

Nate takes a seat on the cheap wooden bench, snatching the water bottle that is offered out to him. He takes a long swig, swishes it around in his mouth then spits on the dirty concrete floor. Tony's usual pale skin has turned into a terracotta red, as he bares his stained yellow teeth and grins like a fool.

"I'm not gonna lie, I had my doubts when a puny high school kid like you walked in here asking for a fight. I made my bets that this would be the end of you, but boy was I wrong. Your father's skills have clearly rubbed off on you." Tony beams in admiration.

Tony walks over to his desk to pull open a drawer and shuffles around inside. He takes something out, but Nate is too busy cleaning up the blood around his mouth to be paying any attention, that is until he finds something being thrown in his lap.

His eyes light up when he realises what it is. A large wad of money.

"Take it kid you earned it. With skills like yours, something like this can change your entire world."

But little did Nate know that this would eventually become his world.