Samantha

Standing in my sandals I watched as Alpha Charles McCormick passed the Alpha title down to his heir Michael. The air was already hot and stale despite the early hour; I could feel my tank top sticking to my back as I squinted up at the porch that was doubling as a stage for the ceremony. Standing next to the pack's officiating Elder our new Alpha Michael McCormick began reciting his vows to the pack. Dutifully his mate Katie stood by his side.

They were the perfect werewolf love story. At least from what the pack had been told, having been at war with the Red Mine Pack. On the other side of the officiating Elder stood Alpha Charles and Luna Lorraine—Alpha Michael's parents—beaming absolute joy as they held each other's hands. Past Luna Lorraine's shoulder stood the pack's darling, Audrey McCormick. As the Alpha's sweet childish daughter she had gained the adoration of the pack. Overall they looked like the perfect American family. Shaking my head slightly, I tried to rein my focus back into the ceremony. As dry and dull as it was, I knew it was an important ceremony for the pack's future.

Shifting my weight again I tried to ignore the sunburn I knew was forming as the hot sun beat down on me. I only had to hold on for a few more minutes. It was getting to the end of the ceremony, and then our pack would break to celebrate our yearly barbeque.

As the though crossed my mind I could feel the Alpha authority pass from Alpha Charles to Alpha Michael. Automatically I bowed down bearing my neck in submission. I felt the need to show my new Alpha that he too had my loyalty, an essential to make the pack work. The ghosting feeling of a wolf's jaws wrapping gently around my neck, eased the tension I hadn't noticed from my shoulders, and allowed me to pull myself upright. Straightening my attention automatically flew to the stage where the officiating elder droned on.

Glancing around at the assembled pack members I watched as the last few pack members' heads popped up from their submissive positions. It made sense that I had been amongst the last of the pack members whose submission was accepted, Alpha Michael didn't know me, and I wasn't a high-ranking pack member. Dismissing the negative self-opinions that were starting to form, I scuffed my toes through the dirt. Turning my attention back to the porch I ignored the sun burning my shoulders. A flicker of movement in the dark shadows of the porch caught my attention; it was the last member of the Alpha's family.

Ryan Welsh.

Luna Lorraine had first arrived at the border of our pack exhausted and bedraggled with her young son in her arms. Alpha Charles had been the one to find them there, and quickly welcomed them into his life. Rumor was that growing up life hadn't been easy for Ryan Welsh, because he wasn't the Alpha's son. He was the family's black sheep.

Suddenly the Alpha ceremony ended.

Elder Mendoza stepped back, melting into the shadows. Taking a mew position in the center of the stage Alpha Michael held a hand out to his beloved mate. Taking his hand the beautiful blond haired, blue eyed, Katie stepped up next to him. This was the beginning of the Luna ceremony.

Alpha Michael's voice boomed over the gathered pack, "Timber Ridge Pack we are gathered today to celebrate the life and growth of out pack..." Ignoring the words I felt myself relax in the cadence of the Alpha's voice. Something about his voice was comforting, almost as if he were a dear friend.

I had never had my own conversation with Alpha Michael.

Unconsciously I picked at the fraying edges of my shorts. My impatient to be done with the ceremonies and for the barbeque to begin to grow exponentially. Almost in agreement with my realization my stomach growled mutinously. The barbeque after the ceremonies was organized as a pack "lunch", so I hadn't bothered to bring a snack, but it was already two.