six

[ six : queen of dares ]

I was sat on the bed that belonged to Luke, pillow in my hands with it near my face, when I heard the bedroom door creak open.

          I froze, already having known who is was. There was a long pause before I heard his deep voice, “Uh, what the hell do you think you’re doing? Why are you smelling my pillow?” I could tell that his voice was laced with confusion.

          Ah, shit. That just had to happen. Well, this is awkward. Of course, Luke would just materialize out of nowhere in that exact moment while I’d been oh-so-normally sniffing his pillow that was covered in his intoxicating scent.

          Yeah, Ade. Why the hell are you smelling his pillow?

           “U-uh, I-I-um...” I stammered, tripping over my words as I tried to conjure an actual, realistic sentence. Damn, something was really wrong with me. I couldn’t even pull together a proper sentence. “What? I was not... smelling your pillow; I was looking under it to see if your flask was there. Who goes around smelling peoples’ pillows?”

           “I’m pretty sure I heard you sniffing it.”

           “And I’m pretty sure I wasn’t. I knew you were an egotistical twat, but come on, not everybody wants to smell you.” Okay: one, what the fuck kind if comeback was that? Two, I am such a goddamn idiot. Just saying that made me should completely and utterly stupid.

          He gave me a look, gazing at me like I was a strange, newly discovered animal that he was trying to figure out. “You’re weird, Adeline. You know that, right?”

           “The best people always are. And do you have a hearing problem? Stop calling me Adeline. You know perfectly well what my name is.”

           “Nah, I think Adeline suits you.”

           “Yeah, and ‘douche’ really suits you. Extremely well, even,” I retorted. “I might have to start calling you that.”

           “Asshat.”

           “Twat.”

           “Brat.”

          I let out a heavy and frustrated sigh as I pinched the bridge of my nose between my thumb and my middle finger. “You’re a real bastard, you know that, don’t you?”

           “Oh, it’s not like I haven’t heard that before.” He rolled his eyes. “Now get out of my room.” Holding up a silver and bronze colored flask, he added, “And I found it-no thanks to you. At all.”

          I stood up off of his bed, crossing my arms over my chest. I pushed some of the brown strands of hair out of my face. “Unlike you, I actually helped you. You just yelled at me while I tried to figure out how the hell to do Pre-Calc. I swear to god, you have anger issues.” 

           “No, I tried to help you. You’re just so pathetically unteachable. You don’t listen. Were you even comprehending the words?”

           “I’m unteachable!? You’re just a fucking ass of a teacher!” 

          He untightened the lid of the flask and brought it up to his mouth. Then he proceeded to take a long swig of whatever liquid was in there. He screwed the lid back on. “I’ve had enough of your irritable annoyingness for one day.”