Chapter 12

I woke up in the morning and saw everyone was still asleep. I quickly got dressed and woke Hermione. She also got dressed and we walked down to breakfast together. I sat down with Hermione and we talked about our classes. After breakfast we went to our first class. Transfigurations with McGonagall. When me and Hermione walked into the class only about three people were in there. In the front of the class, a tabby cat is sitting on McGonagall's desk. I sat down with Hermione on my left. Students started to trickle in and Harry and Ron came in late. "Whew, amazing, can you imagine the look on old McGonagall's face if we were late?" Ron said as he walked towards me and Hermione. The cat jumps off the desk and turns into Professor McGonagall. I smirk at Ron's awe struck face. "That was bloody brilliant." Ron said. "Thank you for that assessment, Mr. Weasley. Maybe if I were to transfigure Mr. Potter and yourself into a pocket watch, maybe one of you would be on time." McGonagall said. "We got lost." Harry explained. "Then perhaps a map? I trust you don't need one to find your seats." McGonagall said. Harry sat to my right and Ron sat on the other side of him. We went threw the rest of the class smoothly. We walked to the next class, which was Snape's potions class. We were sitting in the class and everyone was chattering when the door slammed open and Snape comes rushing in. "There will be no foolish wand waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to enjoy the subtle science and exact art that is potion making. However, for those select few, who possess the predisposition, I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory and even put a stopper in death. Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confidant enough to not...pay...attention." Hermione nudges Harry in the ribs and Harry looks up. "Mr. Potter. Our...new...celebrity. Tell me, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood? You don't know? Well, let's try again. Where, Mr. Potter, would you look if I asked you to find me a bezoar?" Hermione's hand shoots up almost whacking me in the head. "I don't know, Sir." Harry said. "And what is the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?" Snape asked. Hermione's hand went up again and I growled softly as it hit me in the shoulder. "I don't know, Sir." Harry said looking embarrassed. "Pity. Clearly, fame isn't everything, is it, Mr. Potter?" Snape said. "Oh come on. That's so unfair. I know you know that he lived with Muggles. This is just to embarrass him." I said. The class gaped at me and I just ignored them and met Snape's eyes evenly. "And who are you?" He asked. "Phoenix Volkov." I said confidently. "Well Miss Volkov, can you tell me the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?" He asked. "It's a trick question, they're the same plant." I said. He raised an eyebrow in surprise but nodded. "So they are." He said and turned away. Class went on with no further interruptions. We had study hall after potions and we went to the great hall. Me, Harry, and Ron sat together and worked on the homework we had already gotten. I finished my potions homework very quickly while Ron and Harry both struggled with it. "What's Seamus trying to do to that glass of water?" Harry asked after a minute. "Turn it into rum. Actually managed a weak tea yesterday, before-" Ron was cut off my the goblet exploding. We all laugh as a large flock of owls flies in. Blister lands in front of me with a letter. "Ah. Mail's here!" Ron said as owls soar by, dropping parcels to students. "Can I borrow this?" Harry asks pointing to the newspaper that Ron had been delivered. Ron nods and Harry picks it up. "Thanks." He said to Ron. I open my letter and give Blister a small garden snake to eat. He hoots loudly in approval as he crunches the small snake.