Chapter 3

Nathan's POV

When I got to school the next morning, I peered over at her as she put her things in her locker. Her friend was nowhere to be found. As she slammed her locker shut and walked into home room, I noticed that she looked a bit exhausted and stressed. Her eyes were bloodshot and there were bags underneath them. I wondered if something had happened.
I gathered my things for my first hour class and walked into home room behind her. As she sat at the back of the room with her friend, I slowly took a seat two desks away from her. Would now be a bad time to ask for her name? She didn't look too well. Still, I needed to know.
So, I turned to her and smiled. "Uh, hey," I said.
God, why did I have to be so awkward.
She slowly turned to me and forced a smile. "Oh, hi Nathan."
"So I never got your name yesterday," I went on.
"Oh yeah, sorry about that. I'm Becki, and that's my best friend Max," she said, motioning to the bald guy. I nodded at him, and he slowly nodded back. He looked suspicious of me or something.
Before I could say anything else, the bell rang and the announcements started. I leaned back in my desk and tried to listen, but I overheard Becki whispering something to Max.
"Max, I wouldn't lie to you. There WAS a dead body in my yard."
"I know you wouldn't lie, love. I'm just saying, maybe you were short on sleep and just imagined it."
She sighed and slouched in her seat as the announcements finished.
Well, shit. I didn't know that was HER yard. I'd sort of lost control of myself last night and left the bodies I drained scattered around. But once I'd gained my sanity back, I went back for it and dragged it into the woods.
So Becki had seen it, told Max about it, and by the time he'd gotten there, I had already dragged it away.
Well, I guess now I knew where NOT to dump dead bodies. If she ever found out I was the "murderer", she would probably call the police on me or something.
As soon as the bell rang, Becki and Max stood up and gathered their things. I picked up mine and headed to my first class, which was history.
When I walked in, the teacher walked up to me and smiled. "Good morning, Nathan," he said. "You can sit anywhere you'd like. I don't have a seating chart for my class."
I nodded. "Thank you," I said, heading to the back corner of the room. I set my books down on a desk, sat down, and watched everyone else flood in.
And one of those people happened to be Becki.
When she noticed me sitting at the back of the room, I smiled at her and gave a little wave. She nodded at me and slowly made her way to the desk beside mine.
"Mind if I sit here?" she asked.
"Not at all," I said.
She sat down and placed her books on the desk as the bell rang. We all got out our notes and started writing things down as Mr. Smith began lecturing us.
"I didn't know you had this class," Becki suddenly whispered to me.
I slowly turned to her. She didn't take her eyes off her notes. "I didn't know you had this class either," I whispered back.
She pulled back her chestnut brown hair and tied it into a ponytail. She occasionally looked up at the board to write more notes as I kept glancing at her. I couldn't take my eyes off her. She was beautiful.
Suddenly, she looked over at me and grinned. "I thought you said staring was rude," she whispered playfully.
I felt myself blush. "Sorry, love," I replied, turning my attention back to my notes.
All of a sudden, I felt my fangs come out. My eyes widened and I quickly put my head down. This couldn't happen. Not now. The scent of Becki's blood became stronger; I knew my eyes were red by now. I closed them tightly and tried to stop concentrating so much on the smell of her blood. But it was so strong... and it smelled amazing.
A few minutes had passed and my fangs were still out. If anyone noticed them, or even my eyes, I would be in deep trouble. I took a deep breath, tightly closing my eyes again. "Stop it, Nathan," I thought. "You can't do this now. Not in the middle of class."
"Hey, are you alright?" I heard Becki whisper suddenly.
No, why did she have to speak?!
I slowly opened my eyes, praying that they weren't still red. I turned to her, forced myself to smile, and nodded.
She smiled and nodded back as she turned back to her notes.
I breathed a sigh of relief as my fangs finally grew back inside my gums (that's a weird way to put it...). I'd changed back just in the knick of time. Thank goodness.
Within about a half hour, the bell rang. Becki and I stood up and gathered our things. She smiled up at me, so I smiled back.
"So what class do you have next?" she asked as we walked out of the classroom together.
"Biology, I believe," I replied.
"Oh, Max has that class," she said. "You should sit by him."
"Alright," I replied, walking to my locker as she walked to hers. I put my history books inside and got out my biology ones. I was a bit nervous to have a class with just Max... he seemed like he wasn't very fond of me. I shut my locker and peered down the hall; Becki was talking to Max. Probably telling him that I was in his class. He didn't look too happy, so I figured that's what they were discussing.
I made my way into the biology room a few minutes later. I found Max sitting near the front. He nodded and forced a smile at me as I took a desk beside him.
"Hey mate," I said, trying to sound friendly.
"Hey," he said, turning to me. "So you're friends with Becki now, eh?"
I raised an eyebrow and nodded slowly. "Uh, yeah. I guess you could say that."
"I see," he said, turning back to the front of the room.
"Look, Max, if you have a problem with me I -"
"No, it's alright," he interrupted. "Becki can be friends with whoever she pleases."
I slowly turned away from him as the bell rang. As I got out my book and notes, I couldn't help but wonder if Max was nervous about Becki falling in love with me or something. He sure seemed territorial over her.
All I knew was that I wasn't going to let him get in the way of our friendship. I was off to an ok start, and I wasn't going to let him ruin it.

Max's POV

When it was lunchtime, I met Becki at her locker.
"Hiya Max," she said with a smile as she got her lunch box.
"Hey," I said. "You seem a lot better than you did this morning."
"I am, thankfully," she said, following me over to my locker. "I think I just needed to clear my head is all."
I got my lunch and shut my locker as we walked to the cafeteria. "Well that's good," I said slowly. "So hey, about that Nathan kid. Have you befriended him?"
She shrugged. "Yeah, I guess so. He seems really nice."
"Gaining interest in him at all?" I asked, trying to sound like I was teasing her.
She laughed a little and rolled her eyes. "I mean, he's cute, but I don't know. I've only known him for two days. And is someone getting jealous?" She elbowed me in the side and giggled.
"Ha, you're funny," I said. "I don't get jealous. You're free to be friends with whoever you want."
But in my head, I knew I was jealous. Nathan wasn't a bad-looking lad... and he seemed like the type who girls might fall for pretty quickly.
I know I've been best friends with Becki my whole life... but I was starting to kind of like her. And now Nathan was getting in the way.
Just my luck.