Chapter Three

Ryker's pov.
  That might have not been sagacious of me in regards to flirting, but I need to keep my priorities in order. I can't let my guard slip over a sassy cute girl (who could also get me arrested by a pack of werewolves out to destroy me).
  "I don't trust you one bit," she said quietly, steel coating her level gaze.
  "Of course not. You find a guy in the woods who has no money, no car, and who can turn into a wolf at will. It'd be stupid to trust me."
  "Well, because I have a tendency to take in strays you can stay here or at my place, but one wrong move and I WILL end you," she promises.
  "Don't worry, I'll be out of here before long."
  "Sure," and one more thing she says turning around to face me, "I am not cute!"
  "Whatever you say cupcake," I smile attempting to appear seductive.
  She ignores my comment, "did it hurt much to be shot?"
  "You only hit me in the leg, I reply, "I don't feel much from steel bullets. It's kind of like a bee sting."
  "Well then, you're one tough chihuahua," she says smirking.
  "Wolf," I correct her.
  "You look more like a chihuahua.."
  "Jax doesn't appreciate that. But I'll forget that and go rest. In the morning I'll head out."
  "Wait, who is Jax?"
  "My wolf, he is in my head and gives me advice," I offer, hoping to confuse her just to see her nose crinkle up.
  "Uhh..okay. Well this is goodbye then I won't be seeing you again..I have work in the morning," she says and against my will my heart sinks.
  I knew we would part ways, but it still feels like a shot to the heart when she said goodbye.
  "Then this is goodbye."
  Lights flash outside as cops surround the cabin.
  "What did you DO?!"
  I panic, rushing around the cabin frantically, searching for an exit. Ezeral backs into the wall eyes widening at my outburst.
  "Nothing," she shrieks, "do you think I'd risk my job over this?! I'll be arrested!"
  As I look at her shocked expression and wide emerald green eyes I have the most asinine idea ever.
  "Come and leave with me," I offer, "I'll change you!"
  "Are you insane?!"
  She wedges herself even further into a corner.
  "Well something tells me you may not come out of this a free person.."
  "What do you mean change," she asks, glancing nervously at the door.
  I look her in the eye trying to seem soothing. I hear the police call out the location on their scanners as their footsteps crunch on the dried twigs, drawing near.
  "Let me turn you. Please, we don't have much time," I plead.
  "Umm," she chews on her lower lip and glances up at me, her black lashes framing her eyes.
  "It will hurt, but it will be worth it, I promise"
  She slides down the wall further away from me.
  "Or not, last chance," I say straining to hold my temper.
  The police are advancing on the doorway.
  When the police rap on the door calling for us to open up Ezeral jumps and says, "Okay sure!"
  "I'll need your shoulder," I say, stepping closer to her.
  "My..? O-okay," she consents rather than questioning and steps closer until there is barely a foot separating our bodies.
  I reach down and place my hands on her tense shoulders. As I lower my mouth toward her shoulder I inhale her sweet, alluring scent. I quickly slide her v-necked cotton shirt off her shoulder and place my mouth on her soft skin my teeth breaking through. She gasps at the pain, then moans as my saliva mixes with her blood. Shortly thereafter, she slumps, unconscious into my arms and I carry her out a window.
  I found a small secluded overhang and gently laid Ezeral down on a bed of leaves when we reached the outskirts of Washington. A few hours later Ezeral groans and rolls over. When she fully regains consciousness and sits up she launches into another spiel of questions, which I'm happy to answer. Her voice is so beautiful.
  "What happened? Where are we?"
  "I turned you into a werewolf, so you could bypass the jail time for aiding me. And we're in Washington," I pause, giving her time to absorb this information. "Those cops weren't normal..."
  "Washington?! Why did you bring me here? And what do you mean by "not normal", she asks picking leaves out of her hair.
  I hunker down pulling a leaf out she missed and against my better judgment I stroke her cheek brushing her silky hair back.  Her cheeks flush pink and I cough pulling my hand back as sparks shoot up my arm.
  "Those cops were disguised werewolves and they were sniffing me out of their territory. You passed out after I bit you, it's a side affect from the bite."
  "What will the police do?"
  "Hey, I don't care as long as I'm off their territory."
  "And me? Are they after me?!"
  "Not that I'm aware of, but a lot of my scent is on you so you may be unwanted if you go back."
  "But..," she worries her full pink lips, "what am I supposed to do?"
  "I sometimes stay with a small group of rouges that live in this area. We can go there."
  "Okay.."
  "We can go there, but they will ask of you to train and defend the boarders," I warn her.
  "That's fine by me, but what about my house and job? What will become of them?"
  "The pack will call in regards to them. You'll have to start over. A clean slate so to speak.
  She gives me a wide eyed glance, "At least I didn't have anything to lose.."
  For some reason her comment irks me. I feel oddly protective of this girl I barely know.
  "Well. You got me. It should take another day for you to to get your heightened senses and wolf powers. Since I bit you you'll be a little less in control when your wolf finds you."
  "Heightened senses? Wolf powers," she questions, looking at me like I've gone mad.
  "They'll come all at once and it'll be freaky. Normally we get them around the age of sixteen. Then we find our mate and become part of a pack. Since you're over the age of sixteen you'll get yours all at once."
  "Lovely," she responds sarcastically. "So, where is this pack?"
  "It should be around here somewhere.."
  I sniff the air and veer toward the left telling Ezeral to follow. She looks at me oddly but follows.