Under the Stars

Longshot.

You weren't sure why you accepted Rin's offer to help him train at Samezuka. Maybe it was because he'd asked so sweetly and sincerely, as if he actually wanted your help. Or, maybe it was because you couldn't resist helping out Rin, the boy you loved.

You weren't even sure why he'd asked you - you, out of all people. Surely, you weren't anything special. You'd always thought of yourself as average, just another person in billions. Yet, Rin had an excited glint in his eyes when he'd asked you. It wasn't just excitement, you'd noted. There was something else mixed in there. It seemed to be hope - hope that you'd accept his offer.

You eyed him now, talking with his sister, Matsuoka Gou, and leaning against the Iwatobi High School gates. He had a black undershirt and his swim jacket on top, his glittering hair swaying in the light breeze. Gou was struggling to hold a packet of papers, and you giggled softly at her failed attempts to put them in her bookbag. You were supposed to walk home with Gou, but Rin's offer had messed up your otherwise planned schedule. For now, you'd decided to stay by the school's doors, awkwardly shifting your weight on your feet, until Rin left.

You watched the wind blow a paper out of Gou's overflowing hands, and she raced to catch it. You furrowed your brow, desperate to help your friend out. You ran away from your position at the doors, and chased the paper that was now close to where you were. Your messenger bag banged against the side of your leg as you ran. The paper was right at your fingertips, yet you couldn't touch it.

You whined as you ran around the schoolyard, trying to catch the paper. With a last attempt, you jumped up into the air, cheering in delight as your fingers touched the paper, but then pouted as the paper lodged itself in a tree, just out of your reach. You groaned, a truly dejected sound leaving your mouth. 

A chuckled erupted from a figure next to you. You prepared to glare at the person, but stopped short once you realized who it was standing next to you. His hair glinted in the sun, and his Samezuka swim jacket rippled lightly as he stretched his arm to reach the paper. You blushed, realizing that it was Rin. 

"R-Rin, I-I-" Rin cut you off. "Oh yeah, Y/N, you're coming with me and Gou, am I correct? I mean, you did promise to help me practice, right?" Rin looked at you with the same light in his eyes, and you couldn't help but nod, your stomach doing flip-flops. He smiled, his shark-like teeth showing. You smiled a wobbly smile back, and he handed you Gou's paper. Your hands brushed, and you blushed even deeper, although you hoped the redness wouldn't show too much. 

"Come on, let's go before Gou leaves us." Rin smiled at you again, and your heart fluttered. You hoped your hands weren't perspiring, or that would be very irritating in this moment. You nodded, inconspicuously tugging down the skirt of your uniform; you'd always thought the uniform's skirt was terribly short. 

Rin did notice you, a fact unbeknownst to you. He liked watching you, your endearing attitude and looks. He gazed at you as you tugged a strand of hair behind your ear, a smile pulling at his lips. You looked up at him then, and then blushed lightly, a faint shade of pink coating your face.

You puffed out your cheeks, noticing that you'd already arrived at the gates and that Gou wasn't there. "Shark boy, you've made Gou leave without me. Do you know how lonely it is to walk home alone?" You pouted, curling your hands around Gou's paper. Rin looked like he was ready to burst out laughing any second now. You glared at him teasingly. "What?"

Rin shook his head, the tendrils of his silky hair shaking with vibration. "You know, you are going with me either way, so you won't be alone," he breathed. Your eyes widened by just a fraction of an inch, and you blushed lightly. You probably weren't making a good impression on Rin. "Oh, y-yeah!" You tried to cover it up, but you could tell Rin didn't buy it. He clamped a hand on your shoulder and steered you out of the gates and towards the bus stop, which you were going to take to Samezuka.