Chapter One

Trigger Warning: blood, abuse, homophobia, gay slang, swearing (but only a little bit)
Sorry, this chapter is really angsty, but I promise it will get better 
___________________________________

Dean had never run away from something.

He was the kind of person who fought until the end, mostly because it was the noble thing to do. He didn't want to run away; he just wasn't that type of person. But sometimes we are forced into situations where running is the only thing we can do.

Dean ran away for the first time in his life on a Sunday.

He just packed his bags and left. He remembered Sam following him around the house, begging him not to go. He didn't want to leave his brother, but it was the only thing he could do. Sam had cried that day, tears streaking down his face as Dean's car pulled off of the dirt driveway and out onto the open road.

Dean felt like a coward.

It's not like he was running without a reason, because he did have a reason. And a very good one at that. This was his fathers fault, and he would never forget that.

That Sunday had started out as one of the good ones.

Most Sundays, John was drunk, or angry. In fact, John was drunk or angry most of the time. But there were a few rare cases when John wouldn't be drunk or angry, and he would call Sam and Dean downstairs to watch the game with him. It was days like those that gave Dean the little bit of faith in his dad that he needed.

On that Sunday, John called the boys downstairs. They had watched the game, ordered a pizza, and laughed together. It was halftime when Dean gazed around the room, watching Sam's eyes light up with joy and John's lips turn into a rare smile, that he decided it was time. He had waited for so long, ever since highschool, when he first saw a boy that made his heart
beat harder and breath come out faster.

"Uh, I need to tell you guys something", Dean had announced weakly after the game had ended.

"Go ahead, son", John answered, still staring at the small screen. Sam had his attention on Dean, his long body turned toward his brother.

Dean's stomach was in knots. He hadn't prepared. Maybe he should wait.

No, he told himself. He had to do this now.

"It's, um, pretty important, so...", Dean trailed off, staring at his father.

John sighed, turning off the TV. "What is it Dean?", he asked, a tinge of annoyance in his deep voice. Dean flinched. Maybe this wasn't a good time. Maybe he should just go to bed and do it another time.

Dean pushed his doubts aside, sitting up straighter in his spot on the carpet. They only had one recliner, and it belonged to John.

"Well, I uh, I don't really know how to say this." Dean sighed, running a hand through his blond hair. Just get it over with, he told himself. "I guess, I just hope you guys realize this won't change anything, and if you're uncomfortable or something I can just--",

He was cut off by John's harsh voice. "Just spit it out, son!"

All of a sudden, the words came pouring out. "I'm bisexual!"

Dean gasped and covered his mouth with his hand as soon as he said it. He stared at the ground, his face burning. He was supposed to make some big speech, convince them that he was still the same person and that it wasn't something to be mad about. But instead, he had screwed it all up, blurting the words so quickly he wasn't sure if they had even heard him.