Chapter Ten

Coleck was rather underwhelming. It was a small settlement surrounded by a barrier of twisted tree bark, reinforced by metal rods that punctured the wood through and through, spiking into the sky. Considering that within its walls was one of the greatest secrets known to the Fae and human race, I expected more. A metal gate maybe, much like the one in Gri'ah, reinforced by one of fire, then one of air, making it damn impossible to get inside. Then again, the lack made sense. It would look very suspicious for a small village to have such boundaries. Anything more would be a red flare on a clear winter night.

We encountered a barn-like edifice first, a large crowd gathered outside in a mass of disarray. Unease pricked my skin at the sight. With all the people that wanted me dead, everyone looked suspect. When we got closer I noticed the multitude was being sectioned off into separate lines, each one to a guard that stood at an arched stable. At this, my prior nervousness morphed to a tidal wave of anxiety that seeped from my pores as cold sweat. A checkpoint. I'd never set foot outside of Shongopovi, so I can't exactly say it was like crossing customs into another country. I'm fairly sure this held the same essence. Only here, bags weren't being checked, and definitely not passports.A sentry simply raised a hand to hover over the visitor's heart and after a moment, either waved them through or denied access. If the latter, they were escorted through double doors at the rear of the building. I didn't want to think of what happened through those doors, and even less if I was going to have to go through them.

"They are reading intentions," Kheelan spoke into my ear, clearly noting my apprehension. "As healers, they have right of entry to that part of the psyche, and you must allow them access if you wish to continue into Coleck. Many poachers come here only to try and lure freed Domis out of the gates, using glamour or whatever other method. Once outside of these gates, they are no longer protected by Coleck law. They're then sold back to their masters or to the trade."

 I swallowed, suddenly not feeling so bad for those being carried off through the backdoor.

 "We should be fine. Our intentions are honorable enough..." Kheelan grinned. "Well, maybe just a slight mischievous."

 I know he was trying to make light of things, but I looked to the guards and restlessness practically suffocated me. Things were never easy with authority... with anything really, and I was certain this was no different. I had asked why we hadn't gone straight to the resistance camps. Aeval only revealed we had to make sure we weren't being tracked somehow. The Great Mother was also wanted by Xanthus desperately. The only thing that would bring him as much pleasure as seeing the veil fall would be to see her dead. I pushed that to the back of my mind, lest paranoia devour me whole. Maris was already doing that.

 Still, I shook with unease, and quiet tremors rumbled beneath us. Horses neighed in protest, sensing the vibrations that pulsed to my heartbeats. I was quick to haul in a breath and settle my rising pulse before anyone else noticed that the ground was shaking.

 Exhaling my fear, a cool wind gust past, brushing a veil of gold and red leaves over our heads. With the passing breeze, Kheelan's hand crept onto my back, rubbing in rhythmic circles that waved over me like continuous tidal waves of comfort and coolness.

 "Relax," he smiled gently and jerked his head over my shoulder. Turning, I saw the guard reach his hand over Aeval's heart while Kheelan said into my thoughts, "The guards are Resistance members. They will read Aeval first, and then we should be fine. They'll read you to keep up appearances, but won't dig too far. Only to the surface of your thoughts. If you're worried, just think of something you'd like to do here, and you should be fine."

 Kheelans lips so close, I labored through a breath, my mind spitting back exactly what I wanted to do in Coleck. But most of all, the things I stood to gain within its gates. Looking back to the line, it was Vurim's turn to face the guard. My face flushed while tears pricked my eyes. We were almost there, and past that-destiny. It was almost over. Hope was dangerous territory for me, but then and there, it roared relentlessly through my body and into my heart, overpowering all logic.