|17| This is How it Has to Be

Everything is falling apart..

I haven't talked to Parker in a week.

My parents haven't come home in a while...

Ivanna's not looking any better...

"How are you and Parker?"

She's playing with a string that she pulled off her blankets.

"Good", I say avoiding the fact that we're not speaking at all anymore.

"Oh", she says looking at me,"I just haven't seen you guys together in a while."

I change the subject,"How are you and Alex?"

She looks kind of sad,"I haven't seen him lately. He says he'll come and visit but something always comes up so he has to cancel."

He's not avoiding her is he?

I wonder how he's handling her condition. Poor kid must be heartbroken.

"Dad said he's going home with you today so he can get some more of his things and wash some of mom's clothes."

"Oh", I say looking out the window,"How are they doing? I feel like I haven't seen them in a while."

She shakes her head,"Not so good. They've been fighting a lot. They're both real depressed and fight about money. They don't think I hear but I do."

She plays with her hair.

What did she ever do to deserve this?

How can absolutely everything be going wrong in her life at one time?

Will our family ever be hap-

"Lia", my dad walks in cutting off my train of thought,"Will you drive me home? I need to grab a few things from the house."

I nod and grab my jacket from Ivanna's bed.

"Bye", Ivanna says as she hugs me.

"Bye bye."

She smiles at me and then dad and I take off out of the room.

...

It's the first time dads stepped into our house in about a month.

He looks around as if he almost doesn't remember what his own house looks like.

"Dad you ok?"

"Yeah", he says as he walks off toward the laundry room.

I begin to walk upstairs but suddenly turn around remembering I was gonna ask dad something.

"Hey da-"

He's kneeled down in front of the washer crying..

"God dammit! Stupid washer work!"

He pounds hard on the machine as it sits there and mocks him spinning on and off.

I've never seen him like this before...

"Why? Why huh?! Why can't you save her dammit!"

I step back crushed by his actions.

Has dad given up hope?

Tears stream down my face as I take off up the stairs to my room throwing myself on my bed.