The Best that I Can Be

A year and a half later

She my hitter for a reason, oh oh oh

I can tell her all my secrets, oh oh oh

'Cause I know that she gone keep 'em, oh oh oh

Can't nothing come between us, oh oh oh

Dat my main one, dat my main one

Yeah she up in here with me right now

I said dat my main one, dat my main one

Yeah she know that she's my ride or die (say what)

So all you haters you can try tonight

'Cause I'm down for whatever when she's by my side

Dat my main one, dat my main one

And we always be down for life

I sung loudly as I danced around my apartment. I smiled at my pride and joy as she followed behind me in her walker. She was happily bouncing up and down with her chubby self.

"Are you mommy's main one Caleigh?" I cooed, picking her up. I peppered kisses all over her face. She screeched loudly and kept laughing.

She settled down as I walked her into her bedroom and laid her on her changing table.

"Remember that mommy will always have your back. I'm right here for you." I spoke to her. She looked up at me and outstretched her little hand. I placed my index finger out and she grabbed hold to it. I planted a kiss on her little hand and proceeded to change her and get her ready for the day.

Today I have an appointment at the County Building. I'm supposed to be getting my Electric Benefits Transfer card or what is better known as food stamps. I'm on Section 8 as well. It ensures that Caleigh and I have a roof over our heads by letting me live with reduced rent. It's not the most ideal situation but I have to do what I have to for Caleigh and myself until CJ gets back on his feet.

After graduation, I moved in with my dad but, I didn't want to intrude on his life by having a baby running around. CJ and I made the decision to get pregnant so we must deal with what comes with it. I did my research and figured that government assistance would help me for the time being.

My pregnancy was tough but with CJ by my side I managed to get through it. It was tough for him but in a different way. I told him that before I gave birth he had to get out the game completely. He fought me on it at first but realized that he had to do it for the welfare of our family. It wasn't hard because his uncle is an OG and has all types of connections that would ensure that people left CJ alone.

Not only did he get out the game he proposed to me too. He felt that nobody in the world was right for him but me so, why not make it official. He called it his first step into manhood. We're gonna hold off on the marriage ceremony until we establish ourselves a little more.

My mom and I have had little to no contact. She did come to my baby shower and to the hospital when I gave birth. She flipped when I told her that my means of living were provided by the government. It angered me because she wasn't trying to help me. What was I supposed to do? Sit there looking for a handout? No. I utilized the resources at hand.

"Hey baby." I greeted, answering my phone.

"Wassup, ma? What you doing?" he asked.

"Getting ready to go to this appointment. Are you on your way home yet?" I asked him.