Camp Alpha - The Visit - Part 2

"This way," Brody called out to them.

He led them up a few flights of stairs before stopping in front of a door. "This is yours. I'll meet you guys downstairs in an hour for dinner before the pack meeting."

Annie pulled Brody aside while Lucas entered the room. "Can I speak to you for a second?"

Brody nodded. They walked down the hall a little. "What's up?"

"How are you, really?"

"I'm fine," Brody said. His eyes told a different story.

"I don't mean to pry, but I don't think you are. You didn't tell me that your father-" she stopped herself, unable to speak the words.

Realisation hit Brody's face. "I should have told you. I'm sorry."

"How are you, really?"

Brody shrugged. He leant against the wall. "It gets a little easier every day. It was really hard when it first happened, but I had Nate. He kept me going when nothing else did. I honestly don't know what I would have done without him."

"I'm so sorry that you had to go through all of that," Annie said. She wished that he had reached out to her.

"Me too. It's better now, but I'm still putting my life back together."

"How's your mother?"

Brody shook his head sadly. "She's not good. She doesn't leave her room most days."

"Losing a mate is the worst thing that can happen to a person."

Brody nodded. He looked down at his feet. "I don't know if she will ever recover and I can't blame her. If something happened to Nate I would be gutted. I doubt I'd live through it."

Annie reached out to him. "Let me know if there's anything I can do for either of you."

"it's just good to see you and Lucas," Brody told her.

Annie nodded. "We can come back after camp's over if you want?"

Brody smiled slightly. "If you clear it with your parents, that would be great."

"Always the responsible one," Annie noted with a smile.

"Go get unpacked," Brody said. "I'll see you later."

Annie nodded. She pulled her suitcase inside the room.

"What was that about?" Lucas asked.

Annie noticed that he was on the top bunk. The room was small, with a small desk in the corner and a large window that faced the space between the pack house and what she assumed to be the school building. She could see Nate talking with someone outside the structure he was building.

Annie sat down on the bottom bunk. "I just wanted to see if he was doing okay since his father-" she still couldn't say it.

Lucas jumped down from the top bunk and sat next to her. "I thought that must have been what happened. I'm surprised that he didn't tell us."

"Me too. I guess it's a hard thing for him to just tell people."

Lucas nodded. Sadness overcame his face. "I can't imagine what he's going through."

"It must be horrible."

"They look happy though, don't they?" Lucas asked. "Overall."

Annie thought back to the way Nate had kissed Brody and the way Brody kissed back for that second before he remembered that they were there. She had never seen them like that before, with that much passion and love.