V » The Start Of Something

V.   F I V E   //   T H E   S T A R T   O F   S O M E T H I N G

Louis was in the middle of getting his uniform on when one of his teammates called him out of the change room. He pulled his footy jersey over his head and walked out to see Liam standing in the corridor, his own uniform already on. "What's up?"

            "There's a little midget here who wants to see you and she refuses to get to her seat near the front until she sees you," he said with a smirk. Every time he and Pyper had met, Liam would always make fun of her height; with him at five-foot-nine, he was seven inches taller than her. He slapped Louis' back before turning to go back into the change room. "Oh, and Lou?"

            "Yeah?"

            "Take Max's word of advice. You might wanna talk to her soon or you'll miss your chance." With a nod to Liam, Louis jogged out the side doors and saw Pyper there, typing away on her phone. Before he even reached her she looked up and smiled at him.

            "Hey, all star," she greeted.

            Louis scoffed. "You and I both know I'm nowhere near that yet. How come you aren't sitting down yet?"

            "The one thing you're modest about is the one thing you're good at," she said with a sigh. Louis raised his eyebrows in mock hurt as she continued to speak. "I wanted to come down and wish you luck. And as motivation..."

            Pyper opened her messenger bag and rummaged through it for a few seconds, pulling out a paper bag with the insignia from Coffee Hit on it. His mouth began drooling. "Is that—"

            "Yup," she confirmed. "Your favourite."

            He made a grab for the doughnut but Pyper stuck it behind her back, delicately placing it back in her bag. "I just thought I'd show you your prize to get you motivated. Now go make your goals out there."

            Louis groaned. "Fine, I'll make the goals. But it's only for that delectable item you're holding."

            "Just remember—no goals, no doughnut," Pyper warned. "I'll wait for you afterwards. Let me know if you're getting a celebratory meal or something, alright?"

            "No problem. I'm pretty nervous about tonight, but thanks for coming out, Pipe." Louis ran a hand through his hair. "It means a lot."

            "That's what I'm here for." She gave him a light punch on the shoulder. "Now go knock 'em dead. Someone's saving my seat right now, so I should get back. I'll be cheering for you—and Nottingham, of course."

            Assuming she had come with Lydia, Louis said, "Let them know I say hi, then. I'll see you afterwards."

            Twenty minutes later and the home team ran out onto the field, warming up on the side opposite that they entered. Nottingham followed afterwards and Louis saw Pyper in the front row, on her feet, cheering her heart out. Once the cheering died down, she shouted, "Gooooo Louis!"

            He looked over at her directly and waved, but he felt his smile falter when he saw who she was with. Why was Brendan there? Were they on a date? He shook his head and stood straight, looking ahead so that he would be ready when the game officially started. There were only three things that would keep him fuelled for the game: (1) Pyper's encouraging cheers while ignoring Brendan on the side, (2) the team's success for a good season, and (3) a doughnut with his name on it that was currently being held hostage.

            He could do this. He knew it. With the loud blow of the whistle, he was out from his area on the right and into the game. Come on, Tomlinson. Knock 'em dead.