XV - From the Heart of a Maiden

--Day 3: DECEMBER 18, 2016/ 1630H--

According to the diary, this belongs to the family head's wife, Lady Sophia Lancelot-Solivan. It had several entries, dating back to 1904. Here are some of the excerpts.

[Entry #1 - 02/14/1904]

Hello. This is my first time writing on this diary. What shall I write, I wonder? So many possible topics to jot down! I might be needing a second diary soon. As for the day, there's not much that changed. Mama and Papa are still very busy with their agriculture business. I heard it has been growing fast. Here I am, hoping they don't neglect me when that happens.

Anyway, I shall return to you soon. Farewell, my companion.

- Sophie L.

[Entry #2 - 03/15/1904]

Dear Diary,

It has been quite a gap since I have first opened you. Now, I have a good story to tell and worth remembering. Mama talked to me about it after dinner. She told me about a legendary gemstone, one that is said to bring about great fortune to those who would own it.

If my memory serves me right, I believe she had termed it as the "Cora Ruby Heart".

"Mother, what about this Cora... Ruby... uh?" I stammered as I asked Mama.

"Dear, it's a very important relic. Owned by a Greek family of Aristocrats some centuries before Christ was born," I remembered her telling me. "It was a sign of power, and noblemen kept the gemstone whole as a sign of respect."

Ooh! If only I knew more what is the story behind that gemstone! I urged Mama to tell me more. She almost refused, telling me that she was tired. However, she couldn't resist me and willingly sat down for a few more minutes.

"As I was saying, the noblemen believed that the gemstone was a gift from Persephone, the queen of the Underworld. It is said that once winter came, her mother, Demeter, would make the soils barren so that crops wouldn't grow. A traveler set up camp to spend the night near one of the lake near the road he was at.

"He noticed a red glint coming from beneath the ice. When he uncovered the object, he saw that it was a ruby, shaped like two hearts and their blood dried up. From there, he had determined that it must have come from Persephone, who was supposedly at the Underworld at that time. He kept the gemstone and he prospered!"

In addition, noblemen began calling the gemstone as the "Cora Ruby Heart" as a sign that it has come from a Maiden, Persephone herself. Nobody knows where it is right now, and most importantly if it does exist.

It does! Why did Mama tell me these things? She wouldn't make up a fairy tale for someone as old as me, would she? I am already thirteen. Still too young to think about life. I will always remember that name. I'll go find it and see for myself if it is real.

- Sophie L.

[Entry #3 - 06/06/1905]

Dear Diary,

There's someone who has been all over the newsprint this morning. Apparently, he had stopped a tiger which had just escaped his cage and harmed a few bystanders. Were it not for his visit, there would have been more casualties; worse if someone gets killed.

I know I should value human life above all, but, it's a Bengal Tiger! Everyone has been going crazy about these big cats, and no one subdues such species with great skill! When I found out the name of the man, Apollo Solivan, I immediately began researching about this person.