•Eleven•

NOW

Sleep was not a friend to me Friday evening.  I tossed and turned all night, very aware of Jack next to me.  We didn't talk much during dinner.  My thoughts kept circling back to Jack shoving me into the wall. 

Tom had driven me back home and we exchanged numbers so I could reach him if I needed to.  I spent two hours by myself before Jack came home and the entire time, anxiety took hold of me.  Knowing now that Jack could get so angry, angry enough to hurt me physically, formed knots in my stomach. 

I didn't want to be around him, but part of me still didn't believe it to be true.  I couldn't see myself staying with a man who didn't treat me right.  There had to be more to the story, more to the memories that were resurfacing.

After dinner, I cleaned up and put everything away while Jack went upstairs.  Once I was finished, I went up to take a shower and get ready for bed, thinking Jack was in his study.

On our bed were our suitcases.  Jack had completed filling his and zipped it up.  He turned as I came into the room.

"What's going on?" I asked, staying by the door.

"You're staying with Trish this weekend, remem..." he sighed and paused, shaking head.  "I'm sorry.  Of course you don't remember.  The annual golf outing for the firm is this weekend.  You usually stay with Trish."

I felt a sense of relief.  I wouldn't have to pretend around Jack for a little while as I figured things out.  Also, I didn't have to worry about lying to him while I took care of Sammy.  But Trish's house was on the other side of town, taking me further from Tom's. 

Luckily, Tom had insisted he pay me for watching Sammy.  I could call an Uber since running was out of the question now.

"Why am I staying with Trish?"

Jack shrugged.  "You always do.  You go do your girlie things together.  Hey, come in.  Sit."  He removed the suitcases from the bed and held out a hand to me.

Not wanting to cause trouble, I went to him and sat on the edge of the bed.  Jack sat next to me and brushed my hair away from my shoulder.  He kissed the bare skin and smiled.

"How are you?  Sorry I was quiet during dinner.  This outing is a make or break deal so I've got a lot on my mind.  I'm sorry for being so selfish." 

I grinned but I couldn't relax next to him.  "You're fine.  I didn't feel like talking much anyway.  I'm doing okay." 

Jack smiled softly, looking into my eyes.  "Yeah?  Anything you want to tell me?"

My heart jumped into my throat, panic rising.  What did he want to hear?

"No... nothing," I looked away, my eyes falling upon the painting hung over the hole in the wall.  "Yes!  Sorry, I nearly forgot.  I remembered something this afternoon.  The wallpaper in your study.  Random, I know, but I have a memory of us picking it out."

Jack scoffed, "Really?  The wallpaper?  That's a strange memory.  I guess it's better than nothing."

"I'll take what I can get." 

"Anything else?"

I couldn't help but feel like he was trying to pry secrets out of me.  I didn't want to lie but at this point, I wasn't certain I could trust him. 

"No.  That's it."

"Hmm." He nodded and took my chin in his hand, turning my face to his.  "I'm going to miss you."  He gently kissed my lips and I sighed against him.