It's Time To Grow Up

Sadie's eyes widened as her eyes drifted across the letter in front of her.

She'd made it.

She had actually made it!

Of course her mother had told her she could, but Sadie hadn't believed her. Sure she was smart, but it's not like her grades were something to marvel at, especially by Harvard standards. And with the money she had tucked away, plus her earnings from three years at the Big Doughnut, she didn't have to apply for a scholarship or anything.

Suddenly, Sadie felt her stomachs plummet.

The Big Doughnut.

Lars.

Harvard was in Minnesota, which was over three states away from Beach City. That's way too long for weekly trips; heck she'd probably only be able to come home on holidays and maybe long weekends.

Sadie mentally slapped herself out of her trance. Why did she care? This was her dream school! She couldn't get cold feet just because she wouldn't be able to come home a lot, and she definitely shouldn't care about not seeing Lars.

The guy was a jerk, no matter how Sadie felt about him. He was a jerk to everyone: customers, Steven, even Sadie herself.

Lars barely even acted like they were friends, no matter how obvious Sadie made her feelings for him. No, he was always more interested in making it with the 'cool kids', and making himself look tough by bullying everyone.

Still, Sadie couldn't help but feel depressed at the thought of leaving Lars behind. This feeling is what caused her to flop down on her bed and scream into her pillow.

Her inner torment was put on pause as a knock was heard from the front door. Sadie groaned and cursed as she got up and went to open the door. To her surprise, Steven was there.

"Steven," She said, surprised. "What are you doing here?"

"Hi Sadie!" The little boy said with his usual grin. "I was walking by, and I saw your house, and since I didn't see you at the Big Doughnut I thought 'maybe Sadie's here, I should say hi'."

Sadie smiled at the boy's adorable, animated style of storytelling.

"It's my day off." Sadie explained. A look of understanding crossed over Steven's features before the letter in Sadie's hand caught his attention.

"What's that?" Steven asked.

Sadie had almost forgotten the letter was still in her hand, and she looked down at it with mixed emotions.

"It's...A letter." She said.

"A letter? From who?" Steven asked happily.

"...Harvard University."

"Isn't that a really good school? Connie mentioned she was thinking of going there. What does the letter say?" Steven asked.

"They...Want me to go and study there." Sadie explained, seeing as how she knew Steven probably wouldn't understand the phrase 'acceptance letter'.

"Really? That's awesome!" Steven paused. "That is awesome, right?"

Sadie laughed at the stars that formed in Steven's eyes. "Ya, it's my dream school."

"Wow! Have you told Lars?"

Once again, Sadie's stomachs fell.

"No, but-""Well then what are we waiting for?"

Suddenly, Steven grabbed Sadie by the arm and started dragging her away from her house.

"Steven what are you doing?" She screeched.

"We need to find Lars! He'll be so happy for you!"

"Ya..." Sadie hummed distantly.