I

THE shrill of the ringing cell phone echoed off the taupe, matte-fished walls inside the Irvings newly remodeled home. Jared lifted his head from the back pillows of the white upholstered couch, awaking from a mid-afternoon nap. He reached for the end-table where his phone moved shakily across the glass surface from vibration. He answered the call, bringing the phone to his ear.

"Hello?" Jared noised groggily. His voice stopped as the person on the other side of the line spoke. "Okay, I'll come as soon as possible...... Yes, I'll be right there...... Okay, I'll see you soon."

Jared hung up, letting out an abridged sigh.

"Was that the employment agency?" His wife, Caroline, asked excitedly as she entered the living room from the staircase. Before he could respond, she was already seating herself next to him on the couch.

"My grandmother--asking when I could visit her," Jared answered, indifference in his voice.

"Again? This is the third time she's called you this week."

Jared shrugged, displaying unconcern about the situation, "She's old, Caroline. Maybe she can sense that her time is almost up, and she just wants to spend that time with family."

"You don't think it's weird that you haven't heard from her in almost two years, and now, all of the sudden, she's calling you every other day?"

Jared's demeanor was casual. His lips pursed when he shrugged once more.

"I think she might be losing her marbles..." Caroline muttered under her breath, but still enough for Jared to discern her speech.

"Oh, no, she lost them a long time ago, so she bought more, but lost those, too."

Caroline chuckled lightly. She elbowed him in the side playfully, and suggested, "Might as well go check on her."

  ‡ ‡ ‡ 

The Fountainview Assisted Living building was located no more than twenty minutes from the Irvings home. It was a large colonial-style building with cream-colored siding and white-shuttered windows--a beautiful place with a garden, game-room, and chef's menu.

When Jared and Caroline entered her bedroom, Jared's grandmother was sitting up in bed, watching re-runs of I Love Lucy, and nodding off.

"Grandma Bonnie?" Jared whispered in a gentle tone, wishing not to disturb his grandmother.

Grandma Bonnie's head raised abruptly, and her eyes shot open, "Jared?! What are you doing back here so soon?"

"You asked me to come. Remember? On the phone?" 

"Oh, oh, that's right, that's right..." Grandma Bonnie started out of bed gradually. "And you brought Caroline? Well, come--come sit down, both of you," she insisted.

Jared rushed to Grandma Bonnie's bedside, urging her not to trouble herself with getting out of bed. After much opposition, Bonnie conceded, settling herself back against the headboard of her bed.

She smiled widely when she asked, "Where's Maya and Levi?"

"They're still in school," Caroline answered from the damask-patterned love-seat inside Grandma Bonnie's room.

"Oh... Then why aren't the two of you at work?"

"There's been a layoff in the company," Jared exhaled, staring downward at the beige carpet. For some reason, Jared was always so ashamed he'd been let go that he could never look anybody in the eye whenever he told someone. "I'm out of work."

"Oh, I'm so sorry, Jared," Grandma Bonnie spoke in sweet pity.

"Both Caroline and I are currently looking for jobs. We have two children to support, so, hopefully, we'll find something soon."

"Jared, I'm really, very sorry..." Grandma Bonnie apologized again, but her tone lightened when she said, "But you know what? Yes, I'm sure I have some extra cash I can rake up--if you need the help, I give it as an offering."

"No, no, Grandma Bonnie, no, that's all right. I can't take your money. I'd rather sell my house than take your money. Thank you for the offering, though."

"Well, actually--you just reminded me--If you don't want to take the money, then how would you like to work for it instead? I have that old house in the moor. You remember it, don't you? I think you've been there a handful of times. Well, it needs some sprucing up. Would you mind tidying it for me? I haven't lived there in quite some time, and I'm thinking about selling it, but nobody is going to want it in that condition. I warn you now, it'll be hard work. It's rather dusty, and mice may have gotten in, but I will pay you whatever you need to get the job done."

"Grandma--" Jared tried to interrupt, but Grandma Bonnie then interrupted him.

"I don't use that old house anymore--it's just sitting. It should be sold. I will have to hire somebody to perform the job anyway, and you need the work. Please, Jared, take the money. Please, do it for me."

Silence consumed the air in the midst of Jared's hesitation. 

"Okay. Thank you so much, Grandma," Jared lifted from the couch, and sat down on the bed next to Bonnie, wrapping his arms around her torso to give her a hug. "You're so kind. Thank you."

Holding him in her grasp, she murmured into his ear, "The key will be in the back of the house under an old planter box."

Once Jared had accepted the job offer, the conversation had changed. After some time of visiting Grandma Bonnie, Jared and Caroline announced that they had to go fetch their children from school. Leaving the facility, as they situated in their vehicle, Caroline turned to Jared in beginning of conversation.

"It was really sweet of her to offer us that job," Caroline chirped buoyantly.

Jared reached for her hand. There was a look smeared on his face that suggested hostility or fear.

"Caroline, I don't want to go back to that house," he breathed.