[Chapter Seven: The Ministry.]

[Chapter Seven: The Ministry]

I awoke at 5:45 the next morning as abruptly and completely as if somebody had yelled in my ear. I lay immobile as the prospect of the disciplinary hearing filled every tiny particle of my brain. I was so nervous that my stomach was doing cartwheels. Unable to bear it, I kicked my legs out from under the warm blankets and stood from the bed. Mrs. Weasley had laid out her freshly laundered dress that she had been talking about at the foot of my bed. I scrambled into it. By the look of the dress, I could tell Mrs. Weasley must've been quite the catch. It was a very beautiful. It stopped right above my knees and the skirt part of the dress was a dark blue color, with bright red, pink, orange, and yellow floral print. The top was heart shaped and strapless, and the same plain dark blue color. I stumbled over to my bag, which I had put a charm on to appear smaller than the inside of it, and pulled out a pair of midnight blue peep toed heels that I never thought I'd be able to wear. To be honest, I didn't even know why I kept them. I sat down in front of the mirror and did my makeup. My eyeshadow was a smoky blue, with black eyeliner and small cat-tails. Shoving the makeup back into the enchanted bag, I pulled out a straightener and did my hair very neatly.

When I was ready, I stood, feeling a bit more confident now. It was nice not being so grungy from cleaning the old house up. Though, I hadn't taken that much time to get ready since the Yule Ball. I hope Mrs. Weasley is right about first impressions.

Neither Ginny, nor Hermione stirred as I crossed the room (even though the heels made a soft clicking noise), stepped out on to the landing and closed the door softly behind me. Trying not to think of the next time I would see the two, when we might no longer be fellow students at Hogwarts, I walked quietly down the stairs, past the heads of Kreacher's ancestors, and down into the kitchen.

I had expected it to be empty, but when I reached the door I heard the soft rumble of voices on the other side. I pushed it open and saw Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Sirius, Lupin, Tonks and Harry sitting there. All were fully dressed except Mrs. Weasley, who was wearing a quilted purple dressing gown.

For a moment, everyone just stared at me in a state of awe, almost. Was it because I looked different? Or do I just have something in my teeth?

I smiled shyly, before advancing forward and sitting next to Harry. I just stared at the tablecloth, not caring for, or wanting, any of the extra attention.

"That dress looks lovely on you, Ash," Mrs. Weasley said smiling. "Oh Right! Breakfast!"

"Morning Ash," yawned Tonks. Her hair was blonde and curly this morning. "Sleep all right?"

"Yeah," I answered.

"I've b - b - been up all night," she said, with another shuddering yawn.

"What do each of you want?" Mrs Weasley called. "Porridge? Muffins? Kippers? Bacon and eggs? Toast?"

"Just - just toast, thanks," said Harry.

"And I'll take a few strips of bacon."

Lupin glanced at Harry, then said to Tonks, "What were you saying about Scrimgeour?"

"Oh... Yeah... Well, we need to be a bit more careful, he's been asking Kingsley and me funny questions..."

I felt vaguely grateful that I was not required to join in the conversation. My insides were squirming. Mrs. Weasley placed a couple of pieces of toast and marmalade in front of Harry, and then my requested bacon in from of me; I wasn't that hungry, but I ate anyway. There was no need for Mrs. Weasley's delicious food to go to waste. Mrs. Weasley sat down on Harry's other side and started fussing with his T-shirt, tucking in the label and smoothing out the creases across his shoulders. I found it rather amusing, especially when Harry would bite his tongue, but I knew quite well he wanted nothing more than to grunt in frustration with her.