Mind's Eye

"We have less than a week left before the Beast comes and we're no closer to figuring out how to defeat him than we were when he attacked the first time." Quinton said as he slammed shut the spell book that took up his entire lap and tossed it onto the ever growing pile of books that now reached his knee.

"Yeah, and with Fogg's hands and eyes still messed up, we won't have him to save us this time." Alice said, not taking her eyes off of the book she was fingering through.

"Sooo, all I'm hearing is, we're going to die?" Margo said from in between the two towers of books she'd gone through.

"Basically." Elliot said, swirling red wine in one hand while he flipped through a book that floated in front of his face with the other.

"I'm going to go change." Margo said ah she shot up from her seat, sending her chair skidding halfway across the room.

"What? Why?" Alice asked, genuinely confused, finally looking up at something other than words on a page for the first time in hours.

"Because the Beast can show up any minute, and I'll be damned if I'm caught dead in this," Margo said, gesturing down to a perfectly pressed and coordinated outfit where her necklace, matched her bangles, matched her 6 inch heels. "Literally."

"Cheers to that!" Elliot said as he threw the last bit of his wine back and snapped his fingers, slamming the floating book shut. "I'm all for a wardrobe change, I'm coming with!"

"Guys, no, wait! We have to figure this out!" Alice called out, trying to stop them as they hurried out of the study.

"Let them go," Penny said, sitting Indian style in the middle of the floor. "It's not like they were much help anyway."

"Oh yeah? And what help have you been?" Quinton mumbled under his breath.

"Look here fox boy," Penny said, standing and heading over to get into Quinton's face. "I don't HAVE to be here. This is a problem for you, Velma over there, and the rest of the Scooby squad yall got going on here. I can literally be hundreds of places other than here in the blink of the eye. Instead I'm here trying to help save your asses."

"So go! You know he's been targeting travelers using your psychic abilities and it won't be long until he gets to you next," Quinton fired, hoping down from the window sill he's been sitting on. "So you need him to be stopped just as much as we do."

"We've been looking through all these old ass books for days..... Ain't shit here!" Penny said, tossing his book clear across the room, hitting one of the hanging wall mirrors.

"He's right." Alice said, staring at the mirror slowly rocking back into place.

"I am?" Penny said at the same time Quinton asked, "He is?"

"No... yes... well I mean you both are. The answers aren't in any of THESE books," Alice said gesturing her arm around the room. "And you ARE a target so he'll kill you if we can't stop him."

"Thanks..." Penny said, running both of his hands over his head as he walked away from the two.

"But that's a good thing! We can use that to our advantage!" Alice said, a little too excitedly.

"What are you talking about?" Quinton said.

"Yeah, how is me being a walking target an 'advantage'?" Penny asked from across the room.