9. adventure time

The first part of the ride was in Tony's car.

June got in there after Tony had picked Peter up and the difference in behavior appeared almost immediately. Peter couldn't stop jumping on his seat and let out involuntary squeals every once in a while, but gradually stopped when he noticed June wasn't going to follow him in his excitement. Her mood was particularly shifty that day, and she had spent the whole hour in which she got ready alternating moments of desperation, anger and hysteria.

"You two are gonna be just fine, I promise you," Tony suddenly said, his eyes flicking between the rearview mirror and the road in front of him. He knew he didn't have to worry about Peter at all –if not for the fact that he could have caused mayhem around the airport with his excitement-, but June was making him rethink his decisions. It was her choice to go with them, he knew he didn't force her in any way, but something told him she wasn't particularly thrilled at the thought of fighting Steve and the others.

For the first time that day, Tony wondered how someone with such an amazing and uncontrollable power could be so calm and reasonable. He would have probably freaked out, but most people would have turned downright evil with such a power. He knew it was a danger to put her in the spotlight like that but, as much as he hated to admit it, in that moment he cared more about his personal issues than protecting other people's secrets.

"Did you sleep at all last night?" Peter asked June in the mean time, trying to distract her from the thought that there was no way Tony could assure them they were going to be ok.

June shook her head, a small smile ghosting on her lips. She had huge dark bags under her eyes, which meant she had slept even less than she normally would after a mission. Peter knew it was a pathology, and it was insomnia, probably caused by a hint of depression always present in June's life, but he wanted to pretend to be too naïve and superficial to admit it.

"We're here," Tony stated, the car slowing down and then coming to a stop. The three of them simultaneously sighed in relief for not having to be in that awkward situation and, one after another, they all got out of the car.

Still slightly on the edge, June tripped on her own feet two times before balancing herself to look at her surroundings. She had noticed they had gotten out of town, since the majestic skyscrapers of New York were far in the distance, but what was even more majestic and completely took the two kid's breaths away was the enormous, modern and probably highly functional plane standing in front of them. June was sure it wasn't a plane, and neither a helicopter, but she didn't know how to name it because she had never seen something like that in her whole life.

"Woah," Peter stated, his eyes wide in stupor. The bridge of the 'plane' was open, and June noticed a few people standing inside, too busy to notice the arrival of the three.

"This is a quinjet," Tony stated, patting the two on their backs before hinting them to walk further. Before they could get in the so-called quinjet, though, the people inside noticed the three and anticipated them, crowding on the bridge to observe who the two teenagers were.

"No way!" Peter almost yelled, trying to act cool since, considering how they all were acting, June knew they were quite important people.

Peter would talk about them to June all the time. She knew their names, and could associate them with faces, but the excitement that had increased even more in Peter just couldn't reach her in any way. She was too scared to feel anything else.

"Seriously, Tony? Kids?" the only woman in the group asked. June recognized her as Natasha Romanoff, also known as Black Widow and, just like when Peter had firstly described her, June immediately felt suspicious towards the woman.