31

Byron was on a balcony in Elkenah. It the only place in the state of Zonrise where veers could use their powers openly. A law was passed allowing it, but some were very unhappy. He was outside of a hotel room practicing his powers, and McKenna was at his side. Months had passed, and it was finally winter. His kidnap attempt had been a complete success, but what was the price? They had known each other for a long time, and she didn't hate him as much as she did in the beginning. They devised a plan for him together, and that was to help reach acceptance. She believed in him, that he was always good. Byron proved her right more and more each month, with his caring and loyalty. She would help him unleash his positive potential, and maybe others would approve of him as well. Her feelings for him have never changed, he was indeed her first love. But she was ashamed to admit something so personal, especially to him. McKenna Thurston wasn't always good, she was actually considered a Problem Child. Which was one of the reasons that she and her brother, Michael never quite got along. Lulu loved them both equally, but she felt that her daughter needed the most attention. Truth be told, McKenna needed positive people in her life; and her mother prayed that she would change for the better. She did just that, as she became a Superior in the scouts. Her mother always told her that her light was so bright, that it was capable of reaching others.

"Now, breathe slowly." She leaned over his shoulder. "Just like we practiced."

"I dunno, Thirsty. What if none of this crap works?"

She chuckled. "I believe in you, Byron Cortelli. Isn't that enough?"

"No. If they don't like me then, this is all pointless."

"Okay, but they'll probably hate you."

He glared. "Thanks for that."

"I mean, you DID kidnap me. And you hurt Zane."

"Who?"

"Agent Treziak?"

"Oh! You mean the peon."

She sighed. "Could you stop callin' him that?"

"Maybe, if he stops bein' one." He joked, she couldn't help but giggle

"Now focus! Light the candle, with one flame."

He took a deep breath and pointed at a candle. "Right." His eyes glowed purple and large embers flowed from his hand. The candle had melted into a puddle of wax. "Crap!" He grunted. "I told ya this was pointless, Thirsty. Why would you even believe in somebody like me?"

"I-I just do."

"Well don't! Bad guys are bad for a REASON, you know! I may never be the good one!"

She took his hand. "J-Just try again, I'm sure you got it this time!"

"No, McKenna!" He stormed out the door in anger

"Great, now he's gonna be angry AND drunk." She grunted in frustration and pounced on the bed. "Still hotheaded as ever."

[Him and his freakin' temper!] She thought and fell asleep. Hours had passed, and it finally dark, she awoke to see that he was still out.

She sat on the bed and noticed her HC on the nightstand. Considering that he'd been preventing her from using it to contact anyone, she was amazed and concerned all at once. Had he left for good? Was this the end of their plan? It was late and the temperature was dropping. So she rushed to leave and ran out of the neighborhood to find him.

~~~~

     A cashier was ringing up some supplies for a few men. Byron was in the line as well, clutching a plastic glowing necklace in his hand. He approached the man when it was finally his turn. The man looked at him and then when he looked away to reach into his wallet, subtly eyed the wanted poster in the window. He noticed the faces were an exact match, but stays perfectly calm. The cashier looked at something else behind him that Byron himself didn't perceive. The man shrugged his shoulders and rung up his order, he also gave him a pack of medicine tablets for free.