24

Simon's POV:

I know what I have to do. Be sane, and I'm free. That's what everyone wants me to do. My plan is slightly different. And it's best if they don't know. I kind of feel bad for Josh. He isn't in on any of this. Not even Harry's plan. There's so much shit going on, I can't tell who's trying to do what.

I follow closely behind the lady, flanked by the two hefty guards. Normally, I'd be happy to take them on. I tried, but the cunts tased me. And anyway, they've got guns. I've had enough of bad experiences with guns. And I'll probably relive them soon.

I roll up the sleeves of my jumpsuit, grinning. I glance over my shoulder, to see Harry giving me a thumbs up. Tobi nods. My eyes shift to Josh. He looks uneasy, but he smiles at me slightly. Another reason for me to feel bad for him. Harry and Tobi have done this before. This is new to Josh. I guess working the night shift did have its perks, but there's a lot he's missed out on. He'll learn, though.

''Minter and Bradley, with me. Lewis, Brown, wait out here,'' the woman speaks up, snapping me from my daze. I scowl as I'm shoved harshly ahead by the two guards. I glance over my shoulder, but Harry and Tobi are already out of view. Normally, I'd panic, but I feel Josh squeezing one of my cuffed hands and I calm almost instantly. ''What's going on?'' I ask the woman loudly. She doesn't look back. ''I've looked through your files. There's no way our usual methods will work on you. You're not like other people we've dealt with. I'm not saying any more. Hurry up,'' my breath gets caught in my throat as I feel one of the guards nudge me forward harshly with his gun. ''Let's get this over with...'' I mutter as we round a corner. I frown at the sight I'm met with.

''Since when did the asylum have a hangar?'' Josh pipes in, drawing a snicker from me. The woman spins round, looking far from amused. ''Since me. I run every asylum in England. We needed a way to get patients transferred safely, so I thought we may as well put this space to use,'' she says, painfully monotonously. ''Alright, why are we here then? I'm pretty sure Si is entitled to a chance to redeem himself,'' Josh speaks up again. I wish he wouldn't.

''Mr Bradley, it is in your best interest not to ask questions. I have very low expectations for this boy. He will most certainly fail this test, and so I have transport prepared to send him off to where he belongs,'' the woman snaps. I glance at Josh. He's angry again. ''I'll ask as many questions as I want, you bitch,'' he growls. Too loud.

The next few moments seem to go by in such a blur, but they're vivid in my mind. I can see something pass through the woman's eyes as she gestures something I couldn't possibly decipher to the guards. I remain silent, shocked, as one of the guards manning me leaves my side and wastes no time in detaining Josh. ''O-kay then...'' I hear Josh stammer, just as surprised as me, as he too is handcuffed. ''What's going on?'' I ask, fighting to keep my voice level. The woman folds her arms, looking fed up. I want to punch her. So much.

''I've told you already, our usual methods of testing just won't work for you. Your mental state is beyond what we've dealt with before. You are somehow sane, and yet insane at the same time. If that makes sense. The point is, we just aren't sure what to do with you,'' she says, walking up to me. ''You are to make your own judgements. If you could hand me Mr Bradley's gun that would be excellent,'' she raises her voice, addressing the guards. I watch in confusion as the guard manning Josh removes the small weapon from the raven-haired boy's belt and hands it to the woman. My bewilderment escalates as I feel the handcuffs loosen around my wrists and then clatter to the ground. I bring my hands back round to the front of me, stuck in stunned silence once more. Things begin to drop into place as the woman places the gun in my hands.

''Now, Mr Minter, listen to what I'm telling you. I want you to shoot Mr Bradley,'' the words echo in my head. I squeeze the cold metal weapon tight in my hands as I watch the hefty guard push Josh to his knees. ''Not the most orthodox thing to do, but alright...'' the boy mutters. I let out a laugh, more from disbelief than amusement. ''This can't be legal,'' I say, dropping the weapon. The woman looks at me with steely eyes. ''You're a convicted arsonist and murderer and you're criminally insane, do not talk to me about legalities,'' she snaps, removing her gun from her holster and holding it out to me. ''I've told you what I need you to do. Move along.'' I shake my head. ''I could shoot you right now,'' I tell her, and she shakes her head, smiling. ''You could, but then my guards would kill you. I've always been certain you value your life over anyone else's, so please don't disappoint me.''

I snatch the gun from her hand and take a few steps towards Josh. ''What happens if I shoot him?'' I ask, rounding on the woman again. ''No more questions, you stupid boy. You can see clearly what position it's landed your friend in. Shoot him,'' she repeats. I glance at Josh. ''You alright?'' I ask, and he responds with a shallow nod and a sarcastic smile. ''Mr Minter, this isn't Divergent, do hurry up,'' the woman snaps. I ignore her. ''What do you reckon, Josh?'' I ask, walking up to him and sitting cross legged in front of him, holding the gun tight. Josh raises an eyebrow. He's still confused. But I know exactly what's happening, and what's going to happen.

''Should I shoot you?'' I ask genuinely. I feel my stomach churn as I watch real fear pass over Josh's face. He's actually considering the fact that I might shoot him. ''I mean, I don't really get a say in this, do I,'' he mutters. It's as though all the confidence has been drained from him. I guess the realness of the situation is finally sinking in. I rise to my feet and step back again, tossing the gun from hand to hand. ''Enough chit chat. Honestly, Minter, do hurry up,'' the woman chimes in again. I grip the gun even tighter than before. ''I'm not gonna shoot him,'' I snap, turning to glare at the woman. ''Why ever not? He's worth very little to us, and you've killed people before. Why is he any different?'' she says, sounding almost patronising. I hate it.

''Because I love him, okay?'' I sigh, ''You're smart. We're all intelligent beings here. I thought you'd have realised we kind of have a thing going...'' The woman shakes her head. ''Alright. No more talking. Make your decision, now,'' she says. I glance down at the gun, and then at Josh. ''No. I shouldn't have to deal with this. You're trying to prove I'm insane, right? But the shit that you're doing now is making you seem insane. So what's this all about? What if I don't shoot anyone? What if everyone walks out of here alive. Josh can tell the higher authorities, and you can be arrested. Why are you risking this just to get me sent away?'' I say, stepping closer to the woman. She doesn't say anything. I shake my head. ''This is bullshit. I'm not insane. I was, but I'm not anymore. I love you, Josh,'' I sigh, spinning on my heel and smiling at the boy. As far as I know, they'll probably kill him no matter what I do, considering what he knows. I give a casual shrug and face the woman once more. I knew things were gonna end up like this eventually. I just wish Josh was in a better state. Too late for that, I guess.

I press the barrel of the gun to my temple.

''Suck it.''

I pull the trigger.