Chapter One

*This is the third novel in THE HUNT trilogy. The first two books can be read on my profile (The Hunt & The Hunted). This story also connects to other plots in my Wolves of the West series but can definitely be read without reading those first. Also, there will be mature content sprinkled throughout the story, so please read at your own risk! Enjoy! 

This is an excerpt only, the rights to this story has been bought by Inkitt for their new reading app Galatea!

You can find me there under Abby Lynne and find this story under the series title "Wolves of the West: The Hunt!" Thanks so much! (: 

The Huntress

Chapter One

I hadn't intended to light her throne on fire, it just happened.

"You snake," the High Matron hissed at me, spit flying from her lips as she jumped up and hurried away from her flaming seat. Mayme paced the stairs to the throne platform, her severe eyes trained on mine for the first time.

I had challenged her for her title only moments before, barging into the massive room covered in blood and burning with loss and rage. Creatures of every kind had moved out of my way, none daring enough to stop a nineteen-year-old with flames at her fingertips.

"You killed my mother," I seethed, my voice full of rasp and grit.

Mayme threw her nose into the air, eyes chilling another few degrees. "I did no such thing."

"Your antidote was bullshit," I screamed. The people nearest to me flinched, a few jumping backwards in surprise. I took a step forward and Mayme's throne crackled as the flames grew larger.

The crowd was uneasy. My accusation and Mayme's anger enough to make more than a few pairs of feet start to shuffle. I could hear the murmured conversations, the rumours that were already starting to spread, the speculation.

Let them talk. Let them gossip. Let them tell their friends about the flaming girl and the unchecked rage she kept in her empty chest. Let them stare and whisper and judge. Let them wonder and fear and sneer.

Mayme smiled and I felt the fire sizzle under my skin. "It's not my fault you didn't deliver the antidote to Lila in time," she said, using my mother's name. It was wrong on her lips, a prayer from an atheist. "You should have been quicker."

The fire roared. "There was nothing in that vial at all, was there?"

Mayme's smile vanished, replaced by a hateful glare. "You cannot challenge me for the position of High Matron, Morda. You gave up your right to the title with the Blood Oath you took in front of everyone here."

I reached for the collar of my sweater, yanking it down so she could see the angry, red arrow that had been carved into my skin on the day of my Power Ceremony. This mark affirmed my right as a challenger, my potential as a leader. It was still there.

"I have every right," I threatened lowly, "and I will win."

"You took a Blood Oath," Mayme seethed, her severe auburn hair slipping out from behind her ears. "You traced your promise to me with your blood," she went on, her eye twitching slightly, "that is a grievous promise to break."

"It's also a promise she never made." I watched, stunned, as Felix stood from his dark throne. The Vampire King met my eye with a firm look. He was coming through for me, supporting me as he always said he would.