The werewolf, the maverick, the coward and the rebel.

The werewolf, the maverick, the coward and the rebel all sat together on a picnic table near the big oak tree, where it was shadier than the rest of the open grounds. One was wild, a clear Gryffindor, with raven black hair, layered like feathers, and a pair of circular glasses, which magnified his great green eyes like marbles. He was proud of his house, more so than he probably should, his own bedroom at home decorated in scarlet and gold, spotted here and there with pictures of the boys sat around him.

He was sat next to a boy that should have been put in Hufflepuff and long wondered why he wasn't along with everybody else that met him. The hat had put him in Gryffindor, but he was not brave- he cowered away from danger and many who met him wondered how he hung around such loud personalities. He was the smallest, even shorter than the previous, with thin, mouse-brown hair and a pointed freckled nose. 

The third was just like the first, except with more self-control it seemed on a first glance- even down to his hair, which fell in graceful waves down to his shoulder blades instead of sticking up like a hedgehog and a slyer personality usually associated with a Slytherin, to go with his pure-blood status. However, he often thought it was down to pure stubbornness that he wasn't with his brother- as alike as they were in looks, the two boys couldn't be more different and he was just as capable of getting up to mischief as his friends.

The last was the tallest, with seemingly dusty light brown tufts, as if he pulled at his scalp regularly, long scars running up and down the whole length of his long body. He was smiling absentmindedly at the other's antics, his nose buried in a book, eyes screwed up to take in all the information held in those pages- that or he needed his glasses. He acted more like a Ravenclaw than rest and, with the rest of his odd little crowd of friends, it was a wonder that they all got in the same house. 

But they did, so the werewolf, the maverick, the coward and the rebel became unlikely friends. This was often how they spent their breaks, hanging out together in a space that was out in the open to chat up girls but nice and shady, shady enough for Remus to read a book anyway.

"Moony! Do you ever stop reading? This is why you've got all those lines by your eyes!"

"Crows feet. And that would be the late nights out Padfoot, not this book." Nevertheless, Remus pulled an old pair of reading glasses out of his bag and hooked them over his nose, looking across at Sirius. "There. Are you happy now?" 

Sirius smiled, lazily flicking his hair out his face, in a manner that made the werewolf's heart melt, although he didn't know why. Wormtail squeaked and a tiny fluttering bird flew past, making a high-pitched whizzing noise in their ears. No, it wasn't a bird, it was a golden snitch, stolen from the changing rooms by James earlier that week. He laughed at the quivering boy, and caught it in a casual flick of his wrist, while Peter looked on in awe.

"He's not that interesting you know, Wormtail. Put your tongue back in." The other three laughed, as Peter blushed, when suddenly the atmosphere around them changed as a lanky teenager appeared, his arms crossed in front of him protectively, like a bat. He looked from under his greasy curtains at the crowd, his soul-searching black eyes scanning their faces before turning to make a hasty retreat back inside.

"Hey, Snivilleus! Come back here!"

"Come on Peter, let's go" urged Remus, clutching at his sleeve, while Wormtail looked at him in disbelief. "We don't want to get caught up in all this again."

"Well, can't we stop them?" wailed Peter, looking up with Remus with round, grey eyes, eerily similar to two sickles. Truthfully, he liked winding up Severus as much as the other two, though he wasn't as good at it, but he didn't think he could bear another Howler from his mother.