Habits

Everyone was quite used to the two jedi sharing their chambers. It’s normal that when a master takes a padawan under their wing, they always live in a shared apartment of sorts, in the temple on Coruscant. Two bedrooms, living space, bathroom and a small kitchen. Always close to each other. And it was  exactly the same for Anakin and Obi-Wan. At first they weren't very close. The padawan missed his mother,and was pretty much starved for affection and closeness. He was constantly scared, of not being good enough, of the life in the temple, of the Jedi masters, who always judged him, looked at him as if there was something different and wrong about him. They always reprimanded him for his fear and anger, so he stopped showing it. He didn't know what to think about his master, who was never mean or cruel to him, but cold and distant. Anakin constantly felt like a burden. What he didn't know was how his master felt. After the death of Qui-Gon Jinn , Obi-Wan was completely devastated. He had no idea how to move on, but he knew that this wasn't the jedi way, so he tried to conceal his feelings.His grief was crushing him, and so was the guilt he felt because of it. He felt too young, too inexperienced to be knighted. He definitely wasn't ready to have a padawan. But Anakin becoming a Jedi, was his master's last wish, he couldn't just say no. His master thought the young boy to be the Chosen One, Obi-Wan wasn’t sure if he believed that. He knew that this boy was special, very powerful, but he was also so full of emotions, of sadness and fear, and Obi-Wan had no idea how to deal with him. Even though everyone always considered Obi-Wan to be a good speaker, a diplomat, he didn't know how to approach his apprentice, how to comfort him. If he couldn't even deal with his own anguish,  how could he help his young disciple? So they kept dancing around each other, always very official towards themselves, polite but nothing more. Their training bond was weak, as if even the Force had no idea how to handle them.

Everything changed one night.  Anakin lied awake in his bed, after a particularly bad day of his studies. He was restless, shifting his position every five minutes, scared of sleeping, of his nightmares. And that’s when he felt the disturbance in the Force, normally the bond with his master was quiet, non existent even. He wasn't sure if it was real. Maybe he has heard something? But no, the walls of their apartment were too thick to hear anything. He felt it again, and knew that something was wrong, Obi-Wan was hurting, the bond screamed at him. Anakin felt dizzy, as if he was experiencing his own emotions, his own pain. He managed to reach the door leading to the corridor. He crept on toes towards his master’s bedroom. What if he was wounded? Was there someone trying to kill him? Anakin entered the room, it was pitch dark inside. The padawan turned on a small lamp, next to the bed. To his relief but also surprise, no one was attacking his master, in fact he was still asleep. He was clearly having a nightmare, the bed sheets were crumbled, some of them on the floor. Master Kenobi was covered in sweat, moving frantically as if trying to escape. Anakin didn't know what to do, how to help. At first he tried grabbing the man's arm and shaking him “Master, wake up, wake up”, when it didn't work, he tried something different. He used the Force to nudge him a bit, he focused on their bond to send him the same message “wake up”. Obi-Wan’s eyes flew open, as he grabbed on air and gasped for breath. Anakin didn't move, still holding his arm. “Anakin, what.. What are you doing here?” the young boy could see that the man was on a verge of tears. “It's okay master Kenobi, you're alright. I… I felt that something was wrong, you know through the bond, so I came here.” Obi-Wan was just looking at him, still in the grasp of the terrors in his head. Anakin knew that look, “It was just a nightmare, it wasn't real, I know, I'm having them too.” this sentence changed them, it was the first time Anakin confined in Obi-Wan. They shared a secret, for the jedi weren't supposed to have nightmares. If you aren't attached, nor are you scared, there shouldn't be anything to have nightmares about. Anakin wasn't very good with words, he didn't know how to comfort people, so he simply slipped into the bed. Obi-wan knew that he shouldn't allow that, but he was too tired to care about the fact that he wasn't supposed to let his apprentice stay. He just hugged Anakin, for the first time ever. And for the first time, the bond between them was a real thing, almost touchable. It felt right. Their hearts and breaths synchronized. They knew that it would be alright. This became their habit, they always knew when the other one was trapped in their dreams. Even if they were asleep, the disturbance sent through their bond, would wake them up. They would go to the other ones room, wake him up. Sometimes they would talk, not particularly about what was wrong, but about their day, about a funny shop they saw earlier that day, about training, mundane subjects just to occupy their minds. Sometimes they didn't say anything at all. Rarely, one of them sobbed and cursed themselves for that. Most of the times they tried to hug their worries away, just lie, clutched to each other and listen to another one’s steady breathing. The closeness helped, somehow being next to each other, their Force prints entangled, calmed both of them, kept the nightmares at bay. Anakin became one of the most talented students in the temple. His gifts outweighed his shortcomings. Even though the boy was hot tempered, emotional and irresponsible, he was an incredible swordsman for his age, excellent pilot and a strategist (even if his plans were dangerous or almost suicidal). Other masters complemented Obi-Wan on his padawan’s achievements. Boy passed one trial after another, with seemingly no effort, only his master knew how much work Anakin did to accomplish everything he did. They spent long hours sparring and training, until Anakin was covered in bruises or too tired to stay. Master Kenobi also was doing much better, he still hasn't moved on, but maybe he never would. But he didn't blame himself anymore for his master’s fate. The master and his talented padawan became an incredible tandem, synchronized in fight, a force to be reckoned with. Sometimes the council would worry about how attached they have become, nevertheless they knew that the two of them worked better together than apart.