iii. through clouded glass.

°°°

EMPTY HEARTS.
iii. through clouded glass.

               IT HAD BEEN A while since Catherine and the others left the campsite and headed for Mount Weather, and so far, the brunette had learned the names of the two boys that Finn volunteered to come—Monty and Jasper

               IT HAD BEEN A while since Catherine and the others left the campsite and headed for Mount Weather, and so far, the brunette had learned the names of the two boys that Finn volunteered to come—Monty and Jasper. She also shared a curt conversation with Octavia about Finn being 'hers,' and an even longer one about both teenagers not wanting to be looked at as weak, fragile girls, but survivors of being born criminals.

          After meeting Octavia in the drop-ship just hours ago, Catherine felt a weird sort of bond with the girl. They were connected, in some strange and screwed up way, and she felt like they were destined to find themselves by each others sides. Neither girls had had a friend before—unless you count the grueling silence. This was their time to finally experience life.

          Forty minutes had passed before they came across an array of pretty flowers sprouting out from a mossy bed. They were an enticing stained violet colour, catching Catherine's attention as it enchanted the surrounding scene. She plucked one out of the root, twirling it around between her fingers. Up ahead of her, Finn was flirtatiously tucking a strand of Octavia's umber hair behind her ear, gently placing a purple flower in it's place.

          "That, my friend, is game." Jasper, leaning closer to his best friend, whispered in mirth.

          Monty grinned, ripping another flower from it's spot before retorting: "That, my friend, is poison sumac."

          "What? It is?" Octavia exclaimed, eyes growing wide as she immediately slapped the plant from her hair, letting it slowly float to the ground.

          "The flowers aren't poisonous," started Monty, coiling the sumac in his grasp. "They're medicinal, calming, actually."

         Catherine scrunched up her face in distaste once Monty chucked the plant into his mouth as if it were a piece of candy.

          "His family grows all the pharmaceuticals on the Ark, especially the calming ones, if you know what I mean." Jasper explained vaguely, laughing between words.

          "Is that why you two were arrested?" Finn asked, as Catherine squirmed her way between Octavia and Monty.

           "Sumac's not the only herb in the garden," Monty answered, grinning foolishly. "If you know what I mean."

          "Yeah," countered Jasper. "And someone forgot to replace what we took."

          "And someone's apologized, like, a thousand times."