Chapter Three- Broken Man

Fixing his tie in front of the mirror as he had done a million times before, Bruce felt more solemn than usual. It had been 20+ years since his parent's death and it still felt as though it was the same night. The memories had never left his head and make it nearly impossible for him to sleep. But as he let out a deep exhale, he remembered the reason he was dressed so formally was to honor a monument erected in honor of his mother's charity and his father's heroic hand. And so, he went outside to drove to the location which was a garden near the middle of Gotham City.

Hundreds of people surrounded the platform as William Vixor-Bruce's publicist, was already speaking on his behalf. Reporters lined the front rows, listening intently as their cameramen caught the entire speech. Taking a moment, Bruce saw the monument and was hit with a million emotions. The tribute had Martha on one side, children smiling at her side with an engraving he would see later to read "humble, charitable, and beautiful", as his father, Thomas, stood on the other side, dressed in a doctor's coat with his hand in Martha's. His engraving read "brilliant, kind, and compassionate." And finally, in the very bottom in bold letters were the words "NEVER FORGOTTEN".

Bruce adjusted his time and began to walk to the podium as William finished his speech. As Bruce stood in front of the memorial, he turned to look at it closer-seeing the engravings, before returning his position towards the crowd.

"It is never easy to deal with loss. There are no magical words or amount of money that can change the fact someone you love is gone. But my parents would never have wanted anyone to mourn for them, they would want you to remember all the great things that they accomplished in their lives. And this monument is a tribute to those things; my mother's passionate and kind hand, and my father's considerate and brilliant soul. I thank the entire city for allowing them to always be remembered, and although a tragedy, I hope this may bring strength to someone or at least not make anyone feel alone. I invite anyone who ever desires advice or just an ear to come here, and talk to them as though they were never gone. Thank you."

Remaining at the podium, he prepared himself to take questions-finding Vicki Vale in the front. Raising her hand, as she had always done, he chose her for his first question.

"Is it true that you and Alison are no longer together?" Surprised by her question, he looked to the surface in front of him, focusing on a piece of chipped wood before looking up to her.

"Every relationship has a rough path. I do believe this is one of ours."

"Is the wedding still on? Even though she was seen without an engagement ring and kissing another guy?"

"With all due respect Miss Vale, we are here to commemorate a beacon of hope, not bring up personal issues such as my love life."

Choosing another reporter, he was asked questions on the design of the statue and his feelings since his parent's deaths, as well as his plans with Wayne Enterprises. Answering everything with dignity and honor, he stepped down and found Vicki to follow after him. Her hand gently resting on his arm.

"I apologize if I said anything that upset you."

"I understand you have a job to do Miss Vale...I hope you can understand that I desire to keep my private life...just that."

"I do. I am sorry."

Bruce gave a kind nod and moved towards his car before Vicki continued to follow him. As he opened his door, he saw a look of anticipation on her face.

"Is something wrong?"

"I did what you asked...it is my motive behind the question I asked during your interview...you wanted me to look up Selina Kyle and now you aren't with Alison anymore-"