Sugar Cubes

It's been a few months, and everything is getting worse. Annie barely leaves her bedroom and we have to leave meals at her door, few of which she actually eats. They've decided to keep her in the Capitol for a while, until she's ''fit to return home''. She's like me; a prisoner.

I'm lost, all I do now is sleep with even more women from the Capitol and earn even more money, straight into President Snow's pocket. I've even been seeing a few girls in a desperate attempt to feel something again, to escape the numb emptiness that lurks inside me. Without Annie, I don't know what to do with myself and my nightmares have been getting progressively more horrifying, each one ten times worse than the one before.

I've spoken to her a few times since the day I promised she wasn't crazy, without much luck. Some days, she screams at me to go away and throws things at my back as I exit the room in shock. Other days, she just cries and I comfort her, stroking her long, brown hair for hours and hours on end, cradling her like a child.

One morning however, I go downstairs to surprisingly find Annie making herself a cup of tea. I haven't seen her downstairs in over a month, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

''Morning, Annie,'' I say, leaning on the breakfast counter.

''Morning, Finnick. Sleep well?'' she asks, oddly cheerful. Her body, thanks to the Capitol surgeons, is back to its original state, bruises and scars are a thing of the past. I can't take my eyes off her as she pours herself a mug of steaming hot tea, before tipping in three sugar cubes and popping an extra one in her mouth.

''Not badly, thanks,'' I say, curiously leaning over to grab a sugar cube for myself. I put it on my tongue and immediately revel in the heavenly, sweet sensation of tiny granules melting away in my mouth. Who would have thought that a simple sugar cube could taste so delectable and refreshing? I can't help but let a grin escape my lips as I munch on my new found guilty pleasure.

''They're nice, aren't they?'' Annie comments, stirring her tea.

''Really nice,'' I murmur with my mouth full. Annie laughs and her starry eyes light up, small laughter lines forming.

''We used to eat them, back in District 4. My auntie loves them, she'd always eat one after every meal,'' she says. ''Probably explains her waistline.''

I chuckle, pleased that Annie is cracking jokes and opening up to me. This could be a sign, a glimmer of hope in the worst possible situation. If only I can get Annie to be happy again, maybe then everything would be better. Maybe I could even go home with her to District 4, to look after her.

''So, you're turning seventeen tomorrow?'' Annie says, and I almost smack my forehead in frustration. I'd almost let myself forget about the huge party I'm supposed to be hosting in the Capitol. Snow phoned me a few months ago and said that everyone was expecting this to be the biggest event of the year. Grudgingly, I chose a colour theme and music, even though the last thing I want is a party.

''Seventeen. Nothing special,'' I say.

''It is! Sweet seventeen,'' Annie says, before realising her mistake and frowning. ''Well, seventeen is still sweet! Like sugar cubes.''

''Maybe,'' I say glumly. At my sixteenth party, all I did was get crazy drunk and kiss countless Capitol girls. Throughout the night, people approached me and practically fawned over my wealth and fame. It made me feel sick, the way that people loved me so much despite not knowing a single thing about me.

''Well, I'm excited anyway,'' she announces, and I'm shocked. I had no idea that Annie had even been thinking about pathetic things like this, or that she even knew about the party. Perhaps Tricia told her, no doubt she's been planning outfits and makeup for weeks.