Chapter 2

Dancing Part 1

Hissing at me, he tells me to shut up as his eyes look all around to see if anyone is paying attention to us. "We trust the pack, Lexi, but that doesn't mean there isn't one or two who will scoop in and take the chance to steal Roarke away from you at a moment's notice, even if they can't produce his pups."

"This is fucked up; you know that right?" My shoulders slump forward with worry at being on a hit list. Not something I want to think about on a daily basis.

Entering the backyard, we come to see little tikes running around chasing each other. A few with muddy hands, a ball or two and even a baseball bat. I hope the petite girl with the baseball bat isn't trying to beat the boy who put the muddy hand prints on her dress to a bloody pulp.

"Should we take the bat away?" I ask Kai, in fear for the boy's life.

"Nope. Ryake needs to learn not to pick on Sara. He's been bullying her these past few weeks; shoving her face first into the mud, cutting off locks of her hair and putting cat poop in her cereal. He is an evil little shit and deserves to be taught a lesson by the female he is attacking daily."

Knowing how fate loves to pair up its couples, Ryake will be Sara's mate. He will have loads of groveling to do if they are.

"Wow, so he should belong in Roarke's pack is what you're saying?" Snatching the bat out of Sara's hands, I carry it inside the house with me. Her little pout and cries for vengeance reach my ears before the door closes. "I don't feel like building a pyre today for Ryake." Tossing the bat onto the couch, I hop onto a kitchen stool.

"Yes, I know this whole situation is fucked up, but there is nothing we can do right now. Until Roarke issues a notice of you being his soul-mate, the King has no way of finding out. Unless of course, he has spies in our packs. Then we are literally fucked." Kai pats me on the back. I know he is trying to comfort me, it isn't working.

Banging my head on the counter, I groan out in frustration. This isn't how I thought today's events were going to go when I woke up this morning. A few wet dreams of Roarke and getting yelled at by the guys, but that's about it, nothing to the extent of being murdered and buried out back.

"I see you've told her the secret," Ant says from somewhere in front of me. The stupid male needs to be punched in the throat for keep said secret from me. I bet his hazel eyes are rolling in his head right now. They won't be for long if I rip them out of their sockets.

"You're a dick; you know that right?" I mumble into the marble countertop.

"Yes, I do have a dick, and my mate will love it to her heart's content. Now get up and stop moping around. You damn well know, the King will not be able to touch you, not with Roarke, his pack and this pack watching your back. We are family, and even if he is the King, he should know better than to go up against us." Lifting my head up, he stares into my eyes. "Nothing will happen to you this time. We won't allow it to." Putting his hand on my forehead, he uses a little strength to shove me back into a sitting up position.

"Now that that is over with, what are we doing for the rest of the day? Sulking and being a whimpering baby isn't fun," Kai says from beside me, his face split in two with a grin.

"Asshole, I'm not a whimpering mess," mumbling to myself, they still hear me with the way their eyebrows arch up.

Andrew clears his throat, gaining all our attention and throwing my insult to the dust. "I vote for the club. We haven't been in a while, and it will be the perfect opportunity to see how Roarke and his brothers will react to seeing Lexi in a revealing dress. I believe the red one that Kai got you last Christmas will do the trick nicely." Popping a grape in his mouth, Andrew shrugs his shoulders as if what he just said isn't an excellent idea.