Remember Me

Andy wanted to impress Amy with a romantic gesture. OK, it wasn't her birthday and it wasn't even the first anniversary of their meeting, but he thought it would be nice to do something spontaneous. Something that would help move things forward in their relationship.

The sad fact for Andy was that no relationship existed - yet. Having made her acquaintance when she dropped her change in Starbucks and he had gallantly picked up several of the coins, they had shared coffee on several occasions during their lunch breaks over the subsequent months. He wasn't exactly stalking her he told himself, but he made sure that he visited Starbucks at precisely 1.10pm at least once a fortnight. Amy was a creature of habit - that much he established straight away.

During their chats over coffee, she said she had a degree in fashion and yet was working as a receptionist in a law firm. She told him about her parents (both teachers), her five siblings, favourite films, allergies, pets, past boyfriends and her dreams for the future. Meanwhile, Andy wasn't really listening and instead kept gazing into her wide blue eyes and thinking that one day they would be married. As she talked, Andy nodded and agreed. The narrative that ran though his head started with the first kiss of those deliciously full lips, progressed with the first invitation to her garden flat (which she insisted on calling an apartment) and on to their wedding day. She looked radiant in that dress which hugged her hour-glass figure. After that, there would come their children - the boy would be called Rory and the girl Eloise. Then there would be a gap before another girl, Henrietta, who they'd nickname Hetty.

While Amy spoke more about herself over the weeks and months, Andy continued to build their elaborate fantasy, until one day she blurted out,

'Andy, I don't think you've been listening to a word I've said!'

'What was that, darl. .. I mean, sorry Amy. I've had a tough few days. Can we meet again at lunchtime on Friday. I promise I'll be more attentive.'

Andy was at a loss as to what to do for Amy. It wouldn't be right, he thought, to buy her perfume or jewellery - there would be plenty of time for that kind of thing when she was officially his fiancée. He could ask her out for dinner or to a gig, but maybe he needed to give her a small token first. Maybe flowers. Then a flash of inspiration - why not give her a plant, something that would last. Something that she would see and be reminded of him. And when he visited the Highgate Garden Centre, he struck gold - a David Austin rose called 'Remember Me'.

Andy smiled to himself as he entered Starbucks with the special plant bag held aloft in his right hand.

'Hi Amy, look what I've got for you. Hope you like it.'

'Um. Awkward. Andy, as I told you, I don't actually have a garden. And weren't you listening when I explained all about me being hyper-allergic to pollen? Or when I said my favourite colour is red?'

'I forgot.'