Meeting Kaien Cross

Chapter Two~

Kumiko's POV

I stood in front of a wooden desk that was just barely holding together by some small planks of wood that had been nailed on messily. I decided to ignore it for the moment. There's no point in asking right now. Behind the desk was a man with round glasses, a green scarf and his golden brown hair in a ponytail. He looked quite serious, what you would nprmally expect from a Headmaster.

"Hello there, Kumiko! ~" he welcomed in an extremely cheerful voice which surprised me, "Welcome to Cross academy! ~ I'm the Headmaster, Kaien Cross! I hope you will enjoy your time here! ~" he finished with a bright smile that nearly blinded me.

Sooo... This man is Kaien Cross? He's the most powerful vampire hunter in history? Well I guess you can't judge a book by its cover. I mean, look at me. I managed to flip over Zero and I'm pretty short... Just comes to show how much appearances can be deceiving.

"It's a pleasure to be here headmaster." I say with my closed eyed smile, bowing down slightly, trying my best to be polite.

The headmaster suddenly had sparkly puppy dog eyes and a pout. His sudden change in expression shocked me.

"W-what?" I stutter out as I took a small step back, afraid of what was to come.

"SO CUTEE! ~" he squealed as he jumped up in joy. I stared at him with wide eyes. How on earth is he the most powerful hunter?

Zero, sensing my shock turns his head towards me, "Don't worry, you'll get used to it." he says with no emotion in his voice and a blank face.

"Yup!" I reply popping the 'p'. For a moment, I thought I actually saw Zero smile, but it soon disappeared so I decided to let it slide.

"Alright, now that that's over, let's get down to business." the headmaster says in a serious voice. Wow. You couldn't tell that he was acting like a 5 year old kid a few seconds ago... Now I can sorta tell why he's the most feared hunter. His mood swings are dangerous!

"Okay Kumiko-chan. I have your uniform here," he says gesturing to the black uniform that was on the desk. "And Zero will show you around and take you to your classes." Zero gives the headmaster a slight nod and walked out the door, leaving me behind.

"Hey Zero! ~ Wait for me! ~" I say in a childish voice as I chased him out the door.

When we opened the door to our class, all the girls were in their little groups, most likely gossiping and the boys just sat around looking as bored as hell. As Zero went to his seat, I walked to the teacher's desk, "Excuse me? I'm new here and I don't know where to sit..." I mumbled, feeling slightly nervous.

"Oh you must be the new student" exclaims the teacher. He coughs to get the classes attention. "Quiet please!" the room immediately falls into silence. "Now, please introduce yourself miss." He instructed as he urged me to give my introduction to the class.

"Okay. Hello! My name is Kumiko and I'm the new prefect here. I'm looking forward to meeting you all!" I say brightly with one of my closed eyed smiles. As you may have noticed I do that a lot. It's a habit I suppose. When I opened my eyes, I swear I could see hearts in the eyes of all the guys in the class.

"Okay Kumiko. You can sit with Zero since your both prefects." I nod and take my seat. This is going to be sooo boring.

Let the boredom commence!

~~~time skip~~~

As the sun sets, I prepare for guardian duties. I strap my fairly large teal sword on my back and place a gun in my pocket just in case. You never know what might happen when it comes to vampires. After I was finished preparing myself, I decided to go look for Zero. I spot him, deep in thought under a tree, the leaves shading him from the moonlight.

"Zero! Come on we gotta go on duty!" I shouted in his direction, "Yeah. Yeah. I know" he mumbles lazily.

"Soooo...Should we just keep watch from the balcony?" I ask enthusiastically. He replied with a vague 'yeah' and off we went to the balcony!

Once we got to the balcony silence ensued. "So Zero...How's life?" I asked, awkwardly trying to start a conversation since we were gonna be here a while. We might as well do something. It doesn't look like anyone's going to sneak out tonight.

"You should already know what my life is like. You're from the association after all." Zero replies bitterly as he recalled his past. I bowed my head in guilt. He has a really bad past. I feel sorry for him. I don't think I would be able to survive through what he's been through, "Sorry Zero..." I mutter under my breath.

More silence.

"What was your childhood like Kumiko?" Zero asks. Of all the questions he could ask...

"Uh... I don't really know...I don't have any memories from before I was 6..." I said softly with a bit of sadness. I really wonder what happened before that time...

Zero's POV

So she doesn't remember anything at all...that'd explain why she wouldn't recognise me. Why? What would cause her to forget?

As the night grew on I felt a strange presence coming from Kumiko's direction. It was hazy and covered as if it trying to remain hidden.

"Do you sense that?" I asked, curious to see if this was just my imagination.

"Sense what?" she answers with confusion in her voice.

"Never mind..." I muttered back. It must've been my imagination... yes... definitely.